Wipers with a mind of their own!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech

Reaction score
Easiest fix ever
Reflowed the connector and a few other suspicious things.
Added a drop of grease to the worm drive and wiped off the contactor ring while I was there.
Wipers work washers work intermittent works.
20 min and I even checked the oil!

Tech Tip:
Add some fresh solder to the puddle.
Solder flowmachines are notorious for oxidizing the tin out of the solder making it very brittle. If you have a solder sucker pull out the old solder and replace it with new.
Don't expect to see the cracks around a pin with the naked eye. Use an ohm meter and wiggle the pin if your curious.

Update:
Just drove it for several hours through a monsoon and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I was about to post “Wipers Possessed by Demons,” but I did a search and it doesn’t sound like my 95 ‘Hoe is the only one in need of a good old fashioned exorcism. Just to get this off my chest:
1) Mist wiper will produce a random number of sweeps from one (normal I guess) to I lose count.
2) Hardest thing to do is to get them to stop. Similar to condition 1), they sometimes just keep going.
3) Intermittent settings and low and high speed work, but also ends in condition 1)
4) Sometimes condition 1) ends with the wipers up in my face. Usually turning them back on and off takes care of it within a few tries.
5) They have yet to come on by themselves, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Appreciate any confirmation of the aforementioned solution for these symptoms.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realize you're new here but the material you just looked right past tells you how to fix it easily.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realize you're new here but the material you just looked right past tells you how to fix it easily.

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I did get the information I needed in the thread above, and I am grateful for that info. I was just locked and loaded to post before I found this thread and felt I had to get it out. Thanks to all who posted here. I’m really loving this forum - learning so much. I hate that I don’t have more to contribute. I hope you don’t label me as a leech!

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Leech? No way...the info is here for anybody's taking, obviously! Solder that connector back up or replace the board and you'll be good to go.

Richard

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I did get the information I needed in the thread above, and I am grateful for that info. I was just locked and loaded to post before I found this thread and felt I had to get it out. Thanks to all who posted here. I’m really loving this forum - learning so much. I hate that I don’t have more to contribute. I hope you don’t label me as a leech!

Everyone here has been very kind and not judgemental at all, at least in my experience, and I have asked some outstandingly DUMB questions ! Welcome aboard, this is the place! Come back to the thread and let us know if the fix worked. My only gripe here is the number of incomplete threads that have proposed solutions but the OP never comes back and reports if it worked or not.

One thing I have found very helpful. I made a TRUCK directory on my computer and every time I find something really useful, in addition to bookmarking the thread I download miscellaneous stuff like schematics, useful pictures etc. to that directory as I come across them. I also have a copy of my shop manual there. It has proved very helpful and keeps me from asking too many previously answered questions.