Wiper Blade Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For some reason, ever since I replaced my wiper blades with 18" Michelin Stealth blades, which I love, they are making the wipers slower and cuts its passes shorter (1/4" shorter from the stop line the wiper makes when all the way up, then it sticks up about half an inch where it sits sometimes). When I use my washer fluid they go the normal speed. When I had beam style wipers, it didn't do this. Anything I can do to help this? I have even adjusted the wiper arm down in the cowl and didn't help any. Why am I having this issue? I suspect it is just because the windshield is dry or the salt that they spread on the roads. Are these blades just too grippy or is their too much downward pressure? I use washer fluid on a daily basis, more so because of this issue (mostly my OCD on wiper placement when they sit). Don't want to spend money on another set of blades as these are really good at cleaning the windshield.

Might buy a set of beam style again tomorrow, but 19" and see if it still does it. I may be crazy by going to the 19" lol.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aftermarket beam wipers (The Michelin Stealth definitely fall into this category) are, as a general rule, garbage. Go back to the factory style wipers and watch all your problems magically vanish.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
So just get the regular conventional wipers? Was going to try that any see if that changes any. Thanks. :)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I run 19" on mine. Have for years.
WestCoast Rainforest. I need all the vision I can get, driving through the monsoons.
They just come up to the very top of the glass, but don't touch the roof.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I've had the same trouble, gonna try the A/C wipers recommended. I was beginning to think my wiper transmission was just noisy/rough causing the blades some trouble as well.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful answers guys, bought some cheapo Wal-Mart AutoDrive 19" blades and boy are they great! Not much drag and more wiping coverage! I felt the weight between the two blades and the Michelin Hybrids were a bit heavier than the Wal-Mart ones, so I think that must have been causing the drag/slowing issue. For $3.88 each on this new set, that ain't too bad. ;)

Thanks for the link @df2x4, I might try those after these blades, I like that those are ACDelco, I will have to see if they have a 19" model as well.

@sewlow, thanks for getting confirmation that 19s will work.

@deadbeat, yeah I thought my wiper transmission was doing the same thing.