Window regulator/motor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
On my 96 k1500 I am trying to replace my window motor on driver's side door panel. I have the door apart and the panel out but I cannot get the motor out of the bracket even though I have drilled the rivets out. Anyone have a way around this and to get it out? Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may have to take the regulator assembly off of the panel...maybe something is catching underneath.

I need to do this on my Tahoe, but had thought that you had to replace the regulator and motor as one assembly. If you figure out how to do it, let us know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rivets are alluminum but the pin is steel. Take a small punch and first drive the pin out of the rivet then they drill out easy.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the OP is trying to just replace the motor, leaving the regulator arms in place. In his first photo, it looks like he has removed the three rivets on the motor and has rotated the motor about 45-degrees counterclockwise.

Can the motor be replaced without pulling the regulator arms off as well?

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have to drill it completely out

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Quick update. Drilled out the 2 rivets above the three rivets that hold the motor on did not have to remove arms just pry up on bracket to get mottor out once rivets are gone. I will do a big update with pictures tomorrow perhaps even a full write up.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm about to do this on my Tahoe and would rather just buy the motor instead of the whole assembly.

So it all went back together ok?

I see that they offer the part with a straight and a 90-degree connector. Any idea why some are different? I haven't taken mine apart yet to see which one it has.

Last edited:

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I'm about to do this on my Tahoe and would rather just buy the motor instead of the whole assembly.

So it all went back together ok?

I see that they offer the part with a straight and a 90-degree connector. Any idea why some are different? I haven't taken mine apart yet to see which one it has.

As far as connectors go.I used the straight. I didn't even know there was a 90. Could depend on model and year. All went together good all still working. When you get the inner panel off. The regulator arms (the things there are connected to the window that push it up) are sitting loaded and want to move counter clocks wise. Don't let them go far.i zip tied them up

There is some drilling grinding and cutting

Drill out the rivets that hold the window motor to the bracket of the regulator arms ( window regulator and motor are same thing just different terms). Then drill out the 2 rivets above the rivets you just drilled that hold the regulator bracket to the inner door panel.

Now you can pry up with a pry bar and slide the old motor out. You can get replacement rivets at Napa. It says gm rivets on it. The Napa guys will know it will be obvious.

Now you are probably wondering why you can't just use bolts well you could except for the fact that the gear that rides on the motors gear with hit the heads if the bolt.

So I found out it was easier to tap the hole on the new motor (practice on the old if you've never tapped anything) for I believe 5/16-18 thread. You will want 1" bolts no longer no shorter. Home Depot has these bolts. Get the ones with the cap screw heads that way they're flatter and can be ground down easier.

Use loctite for sure.

For grinding the bolt heads I used a cutoff wheel (having compressed air is nice).

When you get your new motor bolted in. Try and move the regulator arms back clock wise. They should clear the grinded bolts. If you notice on the big great on the regular arms, on each end there is a tooth that is wider than the rest. You won't be able to get the gears to catch without cutting this tooth of completely.

Just to be clear. Swing regular arms back to original position. Should be going clock wise. If you look when the gear on the motor and the teeth on the regular hit, they won't start. grind off the first big tooth that hits the motor gear. Then it should be able to catch.

Note: a helper is nice for this next parts. Take the inner door panel to the truck. Hook up wiring harness to window motor. Turn reg arms till the hit gears. Begin to press button as if you're putting window down. The gears should catch.
Make sure to great if the window goes to and down for sure before complete reassemble.

Good luck to you friend. If you got questions just ask.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, this will definitely help. Going to take a look inside this thing and see what's going on. Thanks for the heads up on the spring loaded arms. That wouldn't be a good surprise.