Wierd Stereo Issue...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mason91

Reaction score
So everything used to work fine when I bought the truck it had a junk aftermarket stereo no big deal it worked. Well, I removed all the wires for the amp that used to be there but wasn't there anymore (Aftermarket Amp for his subs) and replaced the Stereo with a newer nicer aftermarket radio.

Now here's the thing and this started happening with the old stereo just before I replaced it, in fact I replaced it because I thought the radio was the problem.....apparently, it wasn't the problem.

Ok so lets say its the first time i start the truck for the day, the radio comes on and if i keep the volume low sometimes it will stay on for a good 10m but if i hit a bump normally it shuts off. (i noticed if it turn it up loud normally it just shuts straight off)

Now lets say they radio has went to silence and i park the truck and in few hours i come back outside start the truck...the radio comes on (sometimes it doesnt come back on at all)

Could this be a bad ground? or maybe the factory amp took a crap?
I was going to rerun all the wires for my speakers with new speaker wire and run a new ground wire for the stereo but i dont want to do that yet if yall think that maybe the amp is just bad? Its driving me nuts i drive all over the country building water towers.......in dead silence lol

Stereo was installed the right way no cut wires in the dash.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that one of your connections in the harness wasn't made properly. Check the work, give everything a good tug and make sure the crimps are tight.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem in my truck when the Harness connector for the rear speakers went out. If you're not sure what I'm talking about in the driverside cab corner there is a connector that separates the rear speakers from the main harness. In my case if I left that unplugged the radio would work fine without the rear speakers connected, however if you enjoy having rear speakers like me you can simply by-pass it temporarily or run new wire from the head unit, which would be my recommendation.

There's also similar connections in the front door jambs that could cause the same issue I would guess.

Mason91

Reaction score
So let's say I ran new speaker wire from the head unit to every speaker, I don't think the truck has a factory amp so I would not have to worry about that and that would fix any grounding issue.
That's what I was gonna do if I couldn't find a bad connection anywhere.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, and that's what I eventually ended up doing in mine, haven't had any issues since.

vpivip

Reaction score
Do you guys know where the rear speaker disconnect is for an extended cab? I am having a very similar problem where the stereo randomly cuts on and off, which is often preceded by a loud popping noise from the speakers. I checked the wires going in the connection leaving the stereo and they look good. I climbed into the back of the truck last night and attempted to follow the wires from the driver side floor plate without tugging on them too hard and without removing the vast amount of interior trim required to get to the speakers (afraid of breaking it due to brittleness of the plastic over time). Unfortunately, I was not able to find the connection.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the head unit itself is turning off, then the issue is not with your speaker wires. If all 4 speakers cut out at the same time, it's extremely unlikely that it's your speaker wire as well. I'd definitely check your harness as mentioned above, and if that doesn't reveal the problem, get out the multimeter and check voltages from your remote, power, and ground connections.