Whole lotta (mirror) shake'n going on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I have noticed a trend with the door mirrors shaking. My uncles did and even when he changed them to a newer style they shake. I replace the same style of mirrors he had cause mine where always coming loose. Now I have sport style with turn signals in them. I am absolutely fed up with the shaking. I understand the mounting surface is too thin and small area. I have ideas on correcting this but I want to see if anyone has corrected this common problem.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of people placing stick on wheel weights on the back of the glass to dampen the shaking. Never tried it personally just something I've read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I have heard that too. but I can see the whole assembly shake. Looking at it I notice the mounting area flexing just a bit.

I had this idea to remove the mirrors and weld in a thin steel plate to it. I talked it over with my body guy and he thinks that will work if I make a large enough area to do weld it. Also, to make it more rigid I could drill holes in the plate and spot weld areas of the plate to the original mounting surface.

I am not sure this will solve the issue. I would have to look at other factors like door hinges and latches. If they are worn out then I may cause the issue.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Mine used to shake a lot, then I replaced them with new OEM ones and that resolved the problem.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I stuck a GO Pro on the finder to look at it as I go down the road. The mirror housing seems to sake more on the end of the mirror. The shaking was worse with its factory OEM mirrors. Thinking about it, I believe it got worse when I attached tow mirrors when I was towing a enclosed car hauler. I could see if I can remove the mirror and mold some aluminum angle on the inside of the housing. Then put the wheel weights on the back side of the glass like I read from other forums and threads I am a member of.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I may also, for good measure, put the steel plate inside the door mirror mounting surface.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Mine used to shake a lot, then I replaced them with new OEM ones and that resolved the problem.

I didn't know you could buy OEM mirrors for these still, did you just go to the dealership and get them?

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I didn't know you could buy OEM mirrors for these still, did you just go to the dealership and get them?
gmpartsdirect.co (yes .co and not .com they're different)They have been my go-to for hard to find OEM parts. Also, they're the cheapest when it comes to shipping the item as well as the cheapest in pricing the item. If you use MINUS5 you get free shipping (on $50+) AND 5% off your order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I may use this thread, I also have a problem with shaky mirror. Actually not the whole mirror, but the glass in the driver's side outside mirror.
About 2 years ago I had to replace damaged stock outside mirror and I bought Dorman 955191 from Rockauto (they've stopped carrying it since).
The glass shakes, particularly at highway speeds.
Can this annoying shaking be somehow fixed? Or if I have to get a new one, which one would you recommend? (outside of those 'original GM' which would cost well north of 100 bucks, plus shipping to Europe...)