"While I'm in There" with TC 4" Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The biggest hurdle is the tie rod taper, the ball joint taper is easy to correct, 2"-per-foot tapered reamer and enlarge them to the GMT400 BJ stud diameters. The tie rod taper on the 99/00 GMT800 knuckles is the same as ours, so it's a direct swap. I cannot find (right now, but still looking) The 01+ tierod specs, IIRC they're bigger so you would need a tapered sleeve to bring the holesize down to ours.

Yes. Somewhere there is a thread I've read that has custom tie rod end specs for this conversion - and a company (I'm sure there are a few, but...) that sells it. I've struck out the last couple nights trying to find it, but I know it's out there.

You're asking about just the knuckle, right? Not the 2011+ wheel bearings with the larger bolt circle? I'm assuming you'd like to put the 01-10 bearings onto the newer knuckles?

Yeah. And you answered my question fully with the info about the seals. Although, kind of makes me wonder if I could take this further: '15 Knuckle with '15 bearing - does the CV fit the bearing? Then, what about the ball, etc. Same deal. The only reason I'm wondering about this route is that it would be the updated conversion of this type, because there are all kinds of new rigs getting lifted and scrapping the '15-'16 knuckles.

But forget it. If I can find 01-11 knuckle on Ebay or relatively cheap new, I'm going for it. And, I'll dig more for that custom tie rod end - might as well upgrade to bulletproof anyway...

Thanks 83GMCK2500-

JTWard

Reaction score
Forget it... Taxes coming back, decision made: keep the K2500 and get it where I want it.

4" Lift
NV4500 conversion
TBI to port EFI conversion
Head/cam/manifold upgrade
clean tan leather interior conversion with sound deadening.

It doesn't feel like it's too much to ask. I should be able to find straight bolt-on stuff for what I'm wanting. I'm going to build some momentum with stuff I know I can do and keep going for all the rest!

So first job: 4" lift. I'm going Tuff Country #14854 (I've got stamped lower control arms). I'm getting a kit with gas shocks. While I'm in there, what else needs to get done? I'm thinking new bushings, but what else? Never done a lift before. Any advice? What I've done so far, not much really:

New hubs
New CV's (both boots ripped on a great weekend in the hills)
New disks, calipers, pads
A bunch of other maintenance stuff...

You must be registered for see images attach

Wow ! One extra sharp Suburban there. Looks a hell of a lot better than the presidents ride !

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
83gmc2500 was telling you the easiest way to go. Get knuckles from a 99 or 2000 gmt800 2500 4x4 and the stock gmt400 tierods fit no custom tierods needed. And they seem larger to me also.
The hubs and control arms are all the same on all 8 lug gmt800s even some van parts are the same.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too late now - got some 2001 knuckles, accumulating parts from there. Pics when it comes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I thought I was pretty much set, Rough Country 4" lift, but I went to ORD and saw their rear shackle flip, now I'm thinking about that. I don't know anything about lifts, I'm a fast car and motorcycle riding guy just now really playing with trucks. Seems like a decent way to go though, except for maybe dropping the gas tank - damn what a PITA the taking it down for the fuel pump change I had to do... And, I don't know much about, "you may have to shim the pinion to correct the drive shaft angle..." Well, I don't think I'll be doing that, so what type of damage may I be in for?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shimming the rear is usually for ujoint angle, make the ujoint last longer and keep away bad vibes. Not to bad just metal wedges between the spring and the axle. Pretty common on lift kits.