Which ls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flandersander

Reaction score
So I was looking into swapping an ls into my 1992 chevy half ton. My goal was around 450 hp. Nothing crazy but something extremely quick. Here are my options:

iron block 6.0 for about $2600. Naked engine, no alt, starter etc.

Aluminum block 5.3 for $875. Same naked engine. Iron 5.3 is same cost

I think it's obvious which one I'm thinking of.

These are the prices form our government run insurance. Wrecked truck motors. Both are around 150,000 km.

$875 bucks is a nice price, but will it meet my wants? I don't want to go forced induction, I was just thinking a really nice cam, with matching top end hardware. Where will that get me? I was hoping to avoid changing the heads out, but if it must be done...

Also, I'm ditching the injection and going carbed.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aluminum block 5.3 for $875. Same naked engine. Iron 5.3 is same cost

I think that 327 could meet your needs fairly easily, but without new heads I'm unsure.. i'd shoot for the 400 hp mark to avoid disappointment if I were you. At 400 that thing would still go like a bat out of hell.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might need to get the heads worked over too but a nice cam, head work, well tuned carb, and longtubes should have you right around taget

flandersander

Reaction score
Okay. That's good news. I'm sure I would be happy with 400 horse. All it will be is a bare bones, reliable as heck, hunting and mudding machine. A little lift and a nice set of tractor tires for the v bar treads.

My next question is, aluminum block or iron? For my mild build, which would suit my needs better?

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay. That's good news. I'm sure I would be happy with 400 horse. All it will be is a bare bones, reliable as heck, hunting and mudding machine. A little lift and a nice set of tractor tires for the v bar treads.

My next question is, aluminum block or iron? For my mild build, which would suit my needs better?

Well that depends.. where do you live? I live up North and have heard of people having issues with aluminum blocks in the cold. For a mild build I'd probably chose iron block assuming you can get it cheaper? Get the heads shaved and worked, aggressive cam, better air intake and see if that puts you where you want.

sent from no where you need to know

flandersander

Reaction score
Well that depends.. where do you live? I live up North and have heard of people having issues with aluminum blocks in the cold. For a mild build I'd probably chose iron block assuming you can get it cheaper? Get the heads shaved and worked, aggressive cam, better air intake and see if that puts you where you want.

Up north? You could say that. I live in saskatchewan. 40 below is not uncommon.

I looked for stroker52's build. Couldn't find much.

I think I'm leaning more towards the aluminum block, simply because of the mildness of my build, and the fact that it'll be a weekend offroad, maybe not street legal rig. Thanks all for your input!

There MAY be plans in the future to put it in a street truck and supercharge it. How far can I go before the material of the block becomes a concern?

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very far haha. The material of your pistons and rods are more of concern.