Which GMPP roller lifters for 1998 k1500 5.7L Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Replacing lifters in 1998 k1500 5.7L truck and having trouble figuring out which ones will work.
From the GMPP catalog, the lifter kit listed for the LS engine is 12499225, which includes 16 lifters with # 17122490. For the 98 truck it gives a kit # 12371042, which includes 16 lifters with # 17120735 plus dog bone guides and hold down spider which I already have and do not need new ones. The lifter kit for the LS engine is less expensive and would like to use.
But several treads and different sites have different opinions on using the LS lifter on a Gen 1 Vortec engine. Some even say I would need to change out pushrods to account for the .050" difference in cup location and then some say the LS7 lifters are a direct replacement for all GM lifters from 1987 to present as long as the engine was using a hydraulic roller cam.
Can anybody confirm that I can use the GMPP lifters listed for LS engine on my 1998.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't confirm that the LS lifters would work or not. but if there is ANY difference in height where the pushrod rides, the pushrods will need some changing. in fact even using 100% stock lifters and 100% stock pushrods on 100% stock rockers, I'd still check the valvetrain geometry. proper geometry = a happy engine. I'm a bit OCD about stuff like that though.