What's the difference between LSX and SBC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found this great writeup that everyone on this site should read:

attachment.php

attachment.php

From Car Craft March 2011

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to put an LS into my truck... but my buddy said that since its a 96, the vin needs to match up on the engines computer when they go to inspect it.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When we tune a LSX computer we can set the vin to anything you want. My truck passes very strict emissions and DOT tests here in MA even though they hook up to the LS1 computer.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"What's the difference between LSX and SBC?"​

In one word...EVERYTHING.

In more words, everything except a couple of measurements, most of the bellhousing bolt pattern, and I think the early LS shared rod bearings with the SBC.

It's about one step away from asking "What's the difference between the Chevy 350 and the Ford 351?", or "What's the difference between the Chrysler 360 and the AMC 360?"

GM pushes the (incorrect and deceptive) notion that the LS is just another development of the (Chevy) small-block. When it was new, GM was calling it a "Mid-block" because it was bigger than the SBC and smaller than the BBC. And the LS isn't a "Chevy" engine at all--it was developed from the beginning as a "Corporate" engine by GM Powertrain.