What's a good setup? Looking for a starting direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt G

Reaction score
Howdy.

I've got a mostly stock 98' 5.7 shortwide C1500 I'm wanting to dump money into but first I wanted to get a rough idea of what a decent setup might entail. This is my first vehicle to modify, so bear with me.

The engine and trans has roughly 85k miles on it, everything else crests at 280k and I'm told the rear end is a 410. Had 3.5" exhaust from headers back put on, cat still in place followed by two flow masters.

Not a daily driver, down time and maintaining fuel economy isn't a big deal. Interested in performance foremost, sound is a bonus. No plans to pull with it.

I have a few ideas/interests of my own but I'd really love to hear what you'd suggest doing to her - $8k is probably the most I'll spend on it. I'll catch up with questions in a bit.

Thank you so much in advance!
God speed.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Realize that performance in a pickup means many things to many people. Some want to go faster around corners, some want better braking, some want better acceleration and power.

As a suggestion, keep your goals modest, and invest that $8000 with a financial advisor, it will be worth more in the long term.

A professional tune for the PCM will likely realize more gains than anything else you can do from this point on. Engine and transmission torque management can be removed or reduced in the software.

If this is strictly a play toy, then you can re-gear the rear axle if acceleration is your only performance metric, this should be balanced with the intended tire size.

Diminishing returns for investment occur when trying to make a brick a 'better' brick.

Matt G

Reaction score
Thanks Michael.

You mentioned performance - I'm wanting more torque response ultimately. The get up and go from a stop. It's definitely just a toy.

I've thought about the PCM tune, but I've heard it's better to do it after planned major changes to intake/exhaust, like changing out the headers as I'd like to do eventually. Was this sound advice or would it not matter any?

You mentioned the rear end, I've got 295/50R15 tires on it. What would sound like a fair rear end for what I'm wanting without getting too extreme?
Right now I'm doing about 1,900 RPM at 65MPH with a 4.10 to give you a rough idea.

Thanks!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if you have 4.10s your get up and go shouldnt be an issue, id verify that before anything. otherwise invest most of that 8k. throw a few simple mods at the truck, regear if necesary and leave it be.

1900 at 65 doesnt sound 4.10s ish but im not doing the math on it. at 70 i run 1900ish with 3.73