What tuning do you guys run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
What is everyone running for tuning? I've got a stock 98 and would like to squeeze a little bit better mpg and power out of it. I'd also like to have it tuned for no cats. Exhaust and intake are on my list but I'd just like to do all 3 at once. I'm not really looking for power as this is just my dd and if I want power I'll go drive my powerstroke. I know absolutely nothing about who tunes what in the gas engine world so any input is appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance is all you need to know for these trucks! At least for 96+ Vortec stuff.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

They can make any modifications you want (cat delete, EGR delete, etc.), just make a note of it on their form. $300 and you get to keep your factory PCM as well, and free re-tunes for life if you ever want to change something. They tuned my red truck and it make a HUGE difference in power and responsiveness. I've sent that PCM back a couple times for alterations to the tune, and they were great about it every time. Just had to pay shipping.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Stop talking about it...... lol I know mine needs it bad enough, it's on the list for this year.. hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
Did you see a bump in mpg at all? That's really what I'm shooting for with this truck, but extra power is always nice

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Is it possible to purchase an already tuned PCM from them or do I have to send in my PCM? I can't be without my truck for an extended period of time, so I was wondering if I could give them a list of things I want on the tune, pay for it, and then have them send me a tuned one to replace the stock computer?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you see a bump in mpg at all? That's really what I'm shooting for with this truck, but extra power is always nice

Not really. Maybe one or two MPG, but for the most part it's been about the same.

EDIT - To be fair though, I didn't ask for MPG. In fact if I remember correctly I actually wrote "I don't care about mileage" somewhere on the form. I just wanted more power and better shifts. If more MPG is your goal, I'm sure you could probably ask them for that and get much better results than I did.

Is it possible to purchase an already tuned PCM from them or do I have to send in my PCM? I can't be without my truck for an extended period of time, so I was wondering if I could give them a list of things I want on the tune, pay for it, and then have them send me a tuned one to replace the stock computer?

The way it works is you pay them a deposit for the tuned PCM they send you in addition to what they charge for the actual tune. If you decide to send your PCM in as a core after you swap in the tuned one, they refund your deposit. If you would prefer to keep your stock PCM too (I did) then they just never refund the deposit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When everythings tuned up I get 22mpg on freeway trips where its flat with my 5.7, highly doubt any programming will do better then that so I've never tried.