What the freak is up with my transmission temperature!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that was pretty easy. I used a 3/8 npt coupler with thread sealer. The plugs I bought wouldn't fit in the radiator so I just plugged them temporarily with rags to fire it up. I don't know that I really even need to plug them since I have no intention of using that setup again. I bent the lines to line them up.

I am going to do it right since right now it is just a hack but I wanted to see how it would work first. I will update this tomorrow after I have driven for a bit to work.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Testing went well. The trans cooled down but I think I will want a bigger cooler now. Can anyone tell me what size the nut or whatever you call it is that connects the line to the transmission? I know the end at the cooler is 3/8nptf but I need to know what that other side is so I can either make some lines with hose or have some made but I don't know who does that

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I know its straight thread, not tapered. They have quick connects on them. We had a discussion about this a while back, but i do not remember the size/thread on the trans.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got 70274 B&M super cooler and added it in parallel to the existing supercooler. Turns out the supercooler low pressure design doesn't work as designed when the ports face down according to the tech guys there. I flipped the existing and mounted it in the ideal position with the ports up. I did the same with the other cooler. Lines come off the trans and T so that each cooler is getting and returning oil vs series were you join the two coolers. It started a nasty storm so I had to stop. Tomorrow I will remount the fan and fill the transmission more and see how it works.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because parallel supplies fluid to both as if they were independent which cools better than passing hot fluid through one cooler and less hot fluid through the next. It's just a more efficient way to cool and also doesn't change the line pressure like a series setup would