What size pipe are you running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I figured dual 2.5" is plenty to open up my exhaust since Im not running forced induction or anything fancy. If I get a wild hare I might wind up with a 383ci bottom end in it with the vortec heads, so 2.5" will still be plenty. If I dont like the mufflers I wouldnt have spent a fortune on them, so I wouldnt feel too bad about changing them til I find what I like.

My main goal is to keep it from being poppy, second goal is to keep it a reasonable sound level, and open up the restrictive factory setup.

Last edited:

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run a mandrel bent, full dual 3" exhaust with H pipe and individual turbo mufflers with tailpipes exiting in front of the passender rear tire. This exhaust would in all likliehood be overkill on a bonestock engine. My engine isn't a nitrous snorting, blown behemoth, but it is worked over so I think the exhaust works to my benefit. Low end TQ improved after installing the H pipe that I didn't originally have. I think in my case, the dual 3" pipe w/ 'H' gives me a nice compromise with the best balance of both TQ and HP; with a little room to grow for further improvements.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3" from the collectors to 3" high flow cats to a 3" inlet/outlet Dynomax Flow-X muffler dumped to the passenger side before the rear wheel.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I have a custom 2" y-pipe that crosses over under the transmission nose cone that goes into a single 3" pipe that runs into a flowmaster which dumps before the axle. All above the bottom of the frame.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I assumed most bagged setups dump before the axle, Ive only heard of / seen one setup in Street Trucks that actually went over the axle to the rear but then again it was an AWD Denali...

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have dumps in front of the rear axle. I won't do this again because it turns the pickup bed into a drum head.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
It was fun to park beside this one car in the dorm parking lot since he had his shock sensor cranked up, each time I started the old '92 it would set the car alarm off, it made me smile. This truck is stealth quiet, and I kind of like it like that, but its gotten old... Im almost considering getting a set of weld in cut-outs with the electronic butterflies... I could keep the stock stuff but make it loud when I felt like it... It would be nice to have a complete new setup though....

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am bone stock exhaust setup right now trying to learn what would be the best setup for my 94. I have never done exhaust on a obs on my own but I would like dual exit before the tires. I am going to be using flowmaster single chambers that I pulled of my 99z28.

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stock sized piping going from collectors straight to dual super 44s dumped before the axle. low end isnt that bad but an x pipe will wake it up.