What size pipe are you running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
So what size pipe are you running from the collectors back, if it changes, single, dual, factory, aftermarket, what?

Right now mine is the very restrictive factory setup on a '96 Vortec 350 with 2" pipe from each collector back to separate cats and from them still 2" to the factory muffler where it collects to a single 3" pipe and goes out to after the passenger tire and dumps there.

Now my personal question is Did you guys with the L31's do a cat-back dual 2.5" system or go 2.5" from collectors back with new cats keeping it dual?

Where should I start replacing the pipe at I guess is what I'm asking. I honestly like the stealth, but I miss my loud ass 3" strait pipe setup on the '92 I used to have.

(I looked up and basically benchtop built a new exhaust system, headers to muffler, dual 2.5" with an X-pipe and dump it before the axle, for my truck and can add it later if you guys want to look at what I came up with.)

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have stock 2" all the way from the collectors to cats and from the cats to a Y pipe to 3" out.
basically - i replaced the muffler with straight pipe. Sounds good, but gets kinda crackly at times.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Heres the table of stuff, Just a rough Idea of what it will cost. I wanted to use Dynomax since few people around here use it.

I wanna get as close to true Duals as I can, running it close to the driveshaft and keeping it streamlined, hence the bullet cats and bullet mufflers. And dump it before the axle. I might just keep it under the passenger side, not sold on how im gonna do it yet...

Heres the links in order since it downsized the pic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=220548402121
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=370329930857
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=250575923615
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=370331457975
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=300368453257
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=200434918858

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lets see my truck was originally a 305 vortec. if you are aware the exhaust is different from the 350 to the 305 at leas on my truck. it had a 2 inch y pipe that went to single 2.5 and had i think 2 cats at one point not sure, then i went into a muffler and had 2.5 the rest of the way back. now i have a 3 inch y pipe that converts into single 3 inch not cats and into a 3inch flowmaster with the 3 inch tail pipe but right at the top of the axle i had a diesel gmt400 tailpipe welded on and that is a 4 inch pipe that exits the side like normal with a 4in in 5 in out RBP stainless tip. looks and sounds good but i want dual tail pipes out the back now.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a cheap set of OBX Polished Headers and then took her down to a local muffler shop and had a new 1in/2out muffler installed with all new 2.5" bent & welded tubing with a 90 degree behind the rear wheels and then had them weld on some mid 1990's Stainless T-309 Corvette Tips. I prefer my 5.7's nice & quiet for cruising.

But now I'm considering have my buddy weld up the notches we cut in the lower quarters and then removing the tips for a more simple look.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not on yet, but pretty soon I'm installing full length headers with 3" collectors, running full dual 3" pipe all the way back, with 2x 3" single I/O mufflers, 3" spun cats, and an H pipe exiting behind the rear passenger tire. the 3" should be good for my setup, but if I wasn't running forced induction, I'd probably do 2.5" duals.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 6.0 its all 2.5" through two high flow cats and a 2.5" x pipe and two 2.5" hooker aerochambers. Very quiet and put down tons of power.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
On the 6.0 its all 2.5" through two high flow cats and a 2.5" x pipe and two 2.5" hooker aerochambers. Very quiet and put down tons of power.

i have the exact same setup on the seal except i have two 2.5" bullets, its prolly waaaaaaaaaaay to much flow for my tired ass motor, it could easily support 600 rwhp... when i do a 454 swap later it will definitely be kept the same

when i do the crew cab its gonna get thorley headers and single 3" highflow cat and 3" bullet, all any motor should need unless your parish :lol: :imo

my cousin has a 523 ford (used to be a 460) pushin ~550 hp on thorley headers no cat and single 3" bullet, the speed shop even said to go to single 3.5" would be a waste of time/money

and just to clear the air if there is any confusion... large pipe true duals are extremely counterproductive to building good low end power on a stock truck mmmk

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and just to clear the air if there is any confusion... large pipe true duals are extremely counterproductive to building good low end power on a stock truck mmmk

to further clarify, this is totally correct, for a stockish N/A motor.

my larger pipe true dual setup is due to the fact that I run a very non-stock, forced induction truck, which changes the rules a bit.