What size bolts are needed for the rear bumper on my 95 K1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axewhlder

Reaction score
I bought my truck and it had a roll pan on it. I can't stand it. Today I picked up a used rear bumper but it didn't include any of the bolts. Does anyone know what size and type of hardware I'll need to mount the bumper to the body? Thanks.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could go to a self serve wrecking yard, and pull a fastener or two from a similar truck, then take them to a fastener shop or a good hardware outlet, and buy some.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The bolt heads are 18mm. The only people I've ever seen use such a size is GM. It's very, very close to 3/4

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why why why! Almost every socket set ever sold, in metric, includes a 17 mm and a 19mm, but NOT an 18mm. Does the 3/4 fit closely enough so that it does not ruin the bolt head or the nut?

Nuther question: is it worthwhile trying to undo old bumper bolts to get a used bumper off a donor vehicle, or is it just better to use a torch or angle grinder. I'm not thinking of re-using the bolts, just trying to be practical.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Why why why! Almost every socket set ever sold, in metric, includes a 17 mm and a 19mm, but NOT an 18mm. Does the 3/4 fit closely enough so that it does not ruin the bolt head or the nut?

Nuther question: is it worthwhile trying to undo old bumper bolts to get a used bumper off a donor vehicle, or is it just better to use a torch or angle grinder. I'm not thinking of re-using the bolts, just trying to be practical.

Because it's a non-standard size, I've only ever seen 18mm bolts on late 80's up GM products. On my Trailblazer, the swap bar end link bolts are 18mm with a 7mm allen key in the middle, another non-standard size lol. I really don't know why they go out of their way to make thing's difficult.

18mm is .7086, so 3/4 will sometimes fit, depending on how much crud is on there. I finally gave in and bought a deep, shallow, and ratcheting wrench individually just to have the damn size.

When I bought my stepside, it came with another bumper, I used my impact to zip the old off and new on. After some JB80 and a wire wheel my bolts looked fine, so they are back on there. I could have done it with a breaker bar and ratchet attachment for it in a yard with mild effort I suspect.