What should I do? Uneven Truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ljm366

Reaction score
I think this is where I should post this...

I have a 97 GMC Sierra 1500 4.3 v6 Single Cab, and the truck dips down in the front. It's driving me crazy,
and I'm considering getting a leveling kit for it. I've been told by a couple of people that a leveling kit on a 2wd truck is idiotic, and that I should lower the rear instead.. What do you guys think I should do?

Here's an outdated pic of my truck, I've done a few things to it since this pic was taken.
You must be registered for see images

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
People who tell you leveling or lifting a 2wd is stupid are closed minded idiotic jackasses. If you want to level it, I'd suggest the Rough country 2" lift kit. It levels the front and back while lifting the whole thing a little. I had the kit on my truck before I went to the 4".

Or lower the rear.

Ljm366

Reaction score
People who tell you leveling or lifting a 2wd is stupid are closed minded idiotic jackasses. If you want to level it, I'd suggest the Rough country 2" lift kit. It levels the front and back while lifting the whole thing a little. I had the kit on my truck before I went to the 4".

Or lower the rear.

What would be the cheapest option? I'm on minimum wage right now, lol.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Just a 1.5 or 2" coil spring spacer in the front. Don't know much about lowering, never looked into it myself. But I'd assume shackles in the back

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lowering the rear will be your cheapest option to level it out by far. 2" drop shackles (which is exactly the amount of drop you'd need) are like $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Belltech-6400-Shackle-Kit/dp/B000CIKAPA

Personally there's no way I'd ever put coil spacers on either of my trucks. That's a little too quick and dirty for me. Not to mention a lot more labor than the drop shackles.

Keep in mind that these trucks have a rake from the factory for a reason, though. If you do level it, anytime you haul a big load in the bed the rear will sag and look strange. The factory stance does a pretty good job of eliminating that. If you plan on using it like a truck I'd probably just leave it alone. To each their own, though.

EDIT - You're not still running those tires are you? The front one in your first pic looks like it should have been retired about 10K miles before that pic was taken...

Last edited:

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If you want to go REAL cheap you can buy front spring boosters that do not involve anything other than jacking up the truck and sticking them in between the coils. We did it on a plow truck at work and got 1.5" in the front in about 5 minutes