What is this in my engine bay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I was messing with my battery and cleaning up and over flow (2nd time due to ****** carquest battery) when I noticed a fuse relay connecting to the postive terminal then going all the way across the engine bay to something mounted near the master cylinder on the firewall. Anyone know what this is? Also any good battery brand recommendations? My truck is a 96 k1500 reg cab 5.7 nv3500

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
That's not factory... But judging by where it's routed I'd guess a charge wire to a trailer plug or + to a brake controller (or maybe something else aftermarket?). Does it run into the cab or down the firewall to the frame?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely not factory whatever it is. Yikes, looks like that battery tray really took a beating.

As far as a good battery, it all depends on what you're trying to spend. Want the best AGM battery out there? Buy an Odyssey. I run them in all my vehicles, and they're awesome, but they'll run you around $300. Whatever you do stay away from Optima.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, definitely an aftermarket addition of some kind.

100% agree with df2x4 on best and worst battery.

DieHard Platinum when they existed where re-branded oddessy batts, I had a pair and they lived up to expectations. Warranty replacement got me a pair of DieHard Golds, which I know aren't rebranded oddessy, but a brand new set of golds was sure to last me longer than 4 year old platinums in everyday FL driving.

Go AGM, and get whichever has longest replacement warranty that you're willing to spend. My DH Golds are 3 year replacement and 2 year prorated = label that says 5 year warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Definitely not factory whatever it is. Yikes, looks like that battery tray really took a beating.

As far as a good battery, it all depends on what you're trying to spend. Want the best AGM battery out there? Buy an Odyssey. I run them in all my vehicles, and they're awesome, but they'll run you around $300. Whatever you do stay away from Optima.
I always thought optima was good? Why not?

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Looked some more. And there is cable going from thing on firewall to throttle so I believe it is cruise control related. What should I do about the fuse holder?

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Just so y'all know the fuse and wire run all the way to what I believe is the speed control for the cruise on the firewall. I just wanna know what the factory setup it like

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with everstart batteries from wal Mart, I base this on the warranty aspect part though. Came into a free one years ago that was dead, Took it up there with nothing even close to a receipt or anything and got a brand new one. I think that was well over 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought optima was good? Why not?

They used to be one of the best. Then around a decade ago they were bought by Johnson Controls and production moved to Mexico. Quality has gone downhill dramatically since then. I killed two Optima yellow tops in less than a year in my red truck before I switched to Odyssey. No problems since then, that was probably three or four years ago.