what is the exhaust order for torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a set of headers, cats, x pipe, and mufflers. I'm not sure if it matters (read it did somewhere and figured Id ask) the order of events between the headers and the mufflers, but what comes first cats or x pipe?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Connect everything finger tight first then torque down the headers then keep heading back and make sure to align things as you tighten.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
mike, what i think he means is what comes first, x pipe or cats, etc...

but to answer your questions, i have always seen them, start with headers, into cats, into x pipe, then mufflers.

DroppedAsAChild

OBS Hoarder
Reaction score
Why not run true duals and go headers, cats, mufflers?? Why are you running an x-pipe there is no need. And as far as torquing down headers its 13 ft/lbs, if you tighten too much youll warp the gaskets. Also make sure you run good gaskets ( copper) and good header bolts( stage 8) . And be sure to check them every once and a while.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah I was wondering which comes first.

I am under the impression (someone who knows better step in if I am wrong) that true duals give up low end tq to exhausts with a cross over. I have always seen them cats first then X pipe, but had heard somewhere that the early the cross over the more effective it is. Sooooooooo that brings me to asking my question about x before the cats. I think im just going to do it headers, cats, x, mufflers, but if what I heard is right, then why cheat my self out of low end power when its the same work either way.