What do I do with my Evap System?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that I'm engine swapping my truck I'm wondering what to do with my evap system? Id like to just take it out but heard you need something to vent pressure.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would Imagine you can just use the existing evap line and that be your vent to atmosphere and then either block off the purge solenoid or leave it in as long as it's normally closed when unplugged.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would Imagine you can just use the existing evap line and that be your vent to atmosphere and then either block off the purge solenoid or leave it in as long as it's normally closed when unplugged.

That's kind of what I thought, I think there are two lines coming of the tank (I believe)? because those alone will let pressure in our out. Where is the purge solenoid?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Generally you will have a purge solenoid on the intake manifold to let tank vapor into the intake and then you have a vent solenoid at the tank that opens to draw air in.

Now you only have to worry about the purge solenoid I believe.. I'm trying to recall on my 91 tbi truck/the emissions diagram.. I thought mine was pretty much a open system with the charcoal canister.

==PURGE SOLENOID ==
You must be registered for see images

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is just vented into the atmosphere and the purge solenoid on the engine is deactivated in the tune. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is just vented into the atmosphere and the purge solenoid on the engine is deactivated in the tune. No issues

So basically I can cut the line at/around the gas tank and be fine?

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should, I just have mine disconnected where the charcoal canister was located. I plan on cutting it back passed the firewall eventually

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I'll do the same. Annoying little system they have ha.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also since I have some fellow swappers here maybe ill throw some more questions at you.

- How does my power get to my truck and all the interior accessories, Is there a power cord?

- My wipers tie into my engine harness does anyone know where the specific colors lead to so I can rewire them?

- I have a little box attached to make brake booster that was also attached to the engine harness wiring via two plugs, one to the black box and the other to what looks like a proportioning valve. I think its my ABS but I'm not totally sure. I also don't need it if it is. Pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: