West Coast Engines 300hp 5.7L L31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A stock replacement L-31 from GM will dyno almost 300hp on an engine dyno. Internet engine builders always advertise Gross hp numbers. The factory replacement engine from GM is rated at 255 Net hp. That engine is nothing more than a stock replacement.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A stock replacement L-31 from GM will dyno almost 300hp on an engine dyno. Internet engine builders always advertise Gross hp numbers. The factory replacement engine from GM is rated at 255 Net hp. That engine is nothing more than a stock replacement.

Interesting. I did not know this. I've been thinking about just going the L31 route anyways. Probably better in the long run.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock GM engine is $2000 brand spanking new free shipping with Summit. I can't imagine why anyone would dream of rebuilding to stock specs for that price. Guys, the page lays out what parts they're using.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock GM engine is $2000 brand spanking new free shipping with Summit. I can't imagine why anyone would dream of rebuilding to stock specs for that price. Guys, the page lays out what parts they're using.
The parts aren't specific. It is a Melling cam and Sealed Power pistons. What cam specs? What compression ratio?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sealed Power hypereutectic should tell you what you need to know. I'm sure it retains stock CR and I'm betting Melling only makes 1 RV cam. They could have tried harder, but still not remotely worth it when new is the same price and a Ramjet cam is cheap as hell.

SamCal36

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it worth it over the crate I am in the same boat looking for a little more power but not want to have to change the pcm I have called west coast an they say they get the extra power out of the boring an cam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm reading their info as pretty much a stock rebuild. Like others said a dyno number by itself is pretty inconclusive. You can't really compare one dyno to another. It's a tool to better an engine comparing it to itself. Remanned engines can be a crap shoot. You might get one .060 over that wants to run a little hot all the time, .040 cut cranks, heads that have cracks welded up etc. Read the warranty page carefully. And you're not buying the one off the dyno that's had all the special attention and started with a better core.