WELL SHOOT... Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you. I got a little bit of work done this weekend. was going to try and remove the brake drums and take a peek at the breaks. Decided real quick that is was going to have to wait until another time. what is the point of having to remove the axle to get to the breaks?? going to be ordering some goodies and hopefully have the rear end under the new frame this next weekend.

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Werk werk werk time & money
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great Just great look what I found after I popped the rear different cover
after some investigation it looks like somethings are missing out of this bearing..
and when turning the front Pinon it seems like there is an awful amount of play... any suggestions on what to do next how hard/how much money does it take to rebuild the rear end...

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
3/4 of the bearings are still in there. Run it. :joke:

That sucks. If there isn't any damage elsewhere in there I'd just do the pinion bearing. Unless you really want to replace everything. Then it's a matter of what carrier you want. That's where the money is. Ring and pinion sets can be had for little to nothing. The carriers can price in at any point imaginable.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I'm doing some research on it now.. also thinking about going disk brakes.. any gains there?

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know where a in depth inspection and rebuild instructional guide around?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks I'm doing some research on it now.. also thinking about going disk brakes.. any gains there?

I have a 14bsf I'm going to be disc swapping. I haven't started any research on it yet. I know someone who disc swapped a 14bsf and I was gonna actually buy it from him but I jumped a little late and he installed the axle before I had the cash. I'll be talking to him about that this summer. I may just bite the bullet and swap carriers too since my g80 gov lock needs parts.
Do you know where a in depth inspection and rebuild instructional guide around?

I have a Haynes manual. Not sure how in depth it gets as I haven't messed with axles much but I figure if I can tackle an automatic transmission, I should be able to handle a rear axle without much issue. I'll dig into my manual soon and see what it has for details. If it's not very specific I'll be looking around the forum for help.

Tyler/T-Unit

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright i found an excellent write up on the 14 bolt. here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/ . but about the brake it looks like you have to have 17 inch wheels which i have 16 to make disc brakes work on DRW. or a bunch of spacers needs. most likey going to pass on disc for now. if anyone has anymore thoughs on this let me know. going to order new bearings..

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have 17s for the summer. And for winter I can land a nice set of stock 17s from a 900 z71

Tyler/T-Unit