WELL SHOOT... Need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Subbing this. Looks like a nice truck. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
POR 15, Chassis Saver, and Rust bullet all suck.

I'm unsure of what the process is, but I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't wire brushing the worst of it and painting over the rest. It also isn't blasting it bare and using the metal etch, etc on it. Because both of those methods have led to all three product's flaking right back off on me.

Rustoleum Heavy Rust primer however, i brush that stuff on, and it stays put, and cost's 1/3 as much.

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, has me thinking.. the truck will be seeing alot of gravel roads do you think the rustoleum will hold up to rocks? and I done some research and once the por 15 stars chipping its all over.. with the rustoleum do you think i can just spay on another coat if it starts to get thin? it doesnt sound like you can do that with the por. plus im all about saving money...

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to a Por-15 Rep I spoke with it will only stick to surfaces with light rust or clean sandblasted metal. If heavy rust you need to get all loose rust chipped away. I use a needle scaling gun that is mostly used in shipyards. It will not stick to a sanded surface.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Hmm, has me thinking.. the truck will be seeing alot of gravel roads do you think the rustoleum will hold up to rocks? and I done some research and once the por 15 stars chipping its all over.. with the rustoleum do you think i can just spay on another coat if it starts to get thin? it doesnt sound like you can do that with the por. plus im all about saving money...

That's all I do, i top coat it with whatever is appropriate, and next year, I sand the edges and touch up wherever it needs it.

According to a Por-15 Rep I spoke with it will only stick to surfaces with light rust or clean sandblasted metal. If heavy rust you need to get all loose rust chipped away. I use a needle scaling gun that is mostly used in shipyards. It will not stick to a sanded surface.

Yep, that's what they say. That's why they sell metal etch and all the prep products for it. As i said, I've used it on wire brushed, still rusty surfaces, I've used it on blasted and etched surfaces, all per their instructions, and it's all flaked right back off in a year.

POR 15 and Chassis Saver have great marketing department's, and the whole, paying more means it's better mentality on their side though.

You must be registered for see images attach

That was last November. By August, all of that was peeling up in big strips. The trucks at the painter now, who is stripping the rest off to use regular primer and paint on the floor.

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys on saving me frustration and money going to go with the rustoleum and give it oil used oil baths. going to get started on it to will try and get some pics.

Mr_Pud

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright got started today and got some new toys. Air compressor and sand blaster. Just testing everything out. Went with rustoluem primer and paint. Got to clean to shop out and get some plastic and start blasting.... also can anyone tell me how many gallons this gas tank looks like?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Looks like a solid 60 gallon to me but I could be wrong. Nothing to really compare to right by it.

Tyler/T-Unit

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Looks like a solid 60 gallon to me but I could be wrong. Nothing to really compare to right by it.

Tyler/T-Unit

Lol, he meant his gas tank, not compressor tank.

Unless I misunderstood.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Nope you had it right. I was reading too quick and missed that part.

Gonna need a pic of the whole tank when possible to have a better idea.

Tyler/T-Unit