Weekend fluid overhaul. Recommendations and capacities?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First weekend free to work on the truck. I plan on replacing the shocks and all fluids. What fluids do you all recommend and roughly what capacity does it take so I buy enough to fill up to all the fill plugs. The truck is a 95 K1500 4x4 w/5 Speed manual.

Motor oil:
Manual states 5qt. I already bought some full synthetic Mobil 1 and accompanying filter because its my favorite.

5 Speed Transmission Fluid:
Manual states "Castrol Syntorq LT" or equivalent for the 5 speed/w low gear and Syncromesh fluid for 5 speed /wo low gear. No idea what transmission I have, but am assuming its the one with low gear as I have the 4x4 w/4L. No idea what the capacity is either. I was looking to put in some Amsoil Syncromesh or Royal Purple Sycromax.

Transfer case:
Manual states states DEXROX III or equivalent. No idea what the capacity is. I wanted to put Royal Purple Sycromax in this as well.

Rear Differential:
Manual states 80W-90 for both the open and locking. I believe my truck has an open as it one wheel peels, but am not 100% sure. No idea what the capacity is. Probably going to put in Mobil 1 synthetic or Royal Purple.

Front Differential:
Manual states 80W-90. No idea what the capacity is. Probably going to put in Mobile 1 synthetic or Royal Purple.

Coolant:
Was going to put is 50/50 Prestone extended life coolant (green stuff). Manual says about 17.5qts.

Any help with capacities and fluid choice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you know where your RPO sticker is that can answer a lot of your questions. If you see MW3 or MT8 you have the NV4500 Transmission which would use the Castrol Syntorq, otherwise use Syncromesh.

As for fluid capacities simply fill anything that doesn't have a listed capacity to the fill hole, when fluid starts coming out it's good.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you know where your RPO sticker is that can answer a lot of your questions. If you see MW3 or MT8 you have the NV4500 Transmission which would use the Castrol Syntorq, otherwise use Syncromesh.

As for fluid capacities simply fill anything that doesn't have a listed capacity to the fill hole, when fluid starts coming out it's good.

I know how to fill all the stuff, but I want to have a rough estimate so I know how much fluid to buy so I have enough to make it to the fill plug.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, You'll need 6qts for the diffs (Little over 2qts each) 3 for the Transfer case and depending on the transmission you'll either need 3 or 4.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I actually have a fluids and filter discussion thread up just for this sort of stuff.

Crank case I usually run Valvoline syn power and Napa platinum filters on all my vehicles. Extended life filters courtesy of Wix!

Auto trans I run Valvoline dexron 6 which is full synthetic. This goes in the tcase too. Exceeds all specs of dexron 3

Axles I run Amsoil full synthetic 80/90.

Brake fluid I run Valvoline dot3/4 synthetic. Power steering always manages to leak so I just run Valvoline.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk