"Weakest Link"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better off just keeping it in 3, don't bother with OD unless it's absolutely flat and level road. The back and forth from 3 to OD heats up that transmission a lot.

That is exactly what I will do unless I think it will be able to pull for a good chunk of time without needing to downshift. I've heard too many stories of people burning out a transmission in one trip due to leaving it in OD and having the truck shift back and forth. I'll sacrifice some fuel economy to save my transmission... It's much cheaper that way lol

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just pulled our really heavy new trailer. The truck was in drive, not overdrive, and it downshifted a lot, the smallest hill or change of wind direction and she was in 2nd. The fuel mileage was comparable to a jet fighter on afterburner. I wouldnt reccomend hauling a heavy trailer especially if you have to negotiate mountains with just a 1/2 ton.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just pulled our really heavy new trailer. The truck was in drive, not overdrive, and it downshifted a lot, the smallest hill or change of wind direction and she was in 2nd. The fuel mileage was comparable to a jet fighter on afterburner. I wouldnt reccomend hauling a heavy trailer especially if you have to negotiate mountains with just a 1/2 ton.

How heavy was the trailer? do you have a 350 or the 305? Honestly unless you have a diesel or a 454 I can't see any reason why a 3/4 ton is going to pull better in terms of towing power.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trailer was about 6000Lbs. Ive got the 350. If I was going to get a 3/4 ton it would be with the 6L V8, Id go for a newer truck with a quad cab. I was looking at some 1500HDs but dont really see why I wouldnt get a 3/4 ton instead of a 1500HD.

ancho

Reaction score
When it comes to brute pulling power, the OBS 3/4 or 1-ton trucks are only going to be marginally better with the 454 or 6.5, and if they have the 350, they'll be more of a dog due to the extra weight and drivetrain losses through the 4L80/14 bolt. There's plenty to be said for the added stability and brakes, in the heavier trucks of course, but in sheer pulling power it's really not a major leap.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it comes to brute pulling power, the OBS 3/4 or 1-ton trucks are only going to be marginally better with the 454 or 6.5, and if they have the 350, they'll be more of a dog due to the extra weight and drivetrain losses through the 4L80/14 bolt. There's plenty to be said for the added stability and brakes, in the heavier trucks of course, but in sheer pulling power it's really not a major leap.

Thats where Im at with that, have seen several 1500HDs and 2500s with the 6L that will suit my purpose better than any OBS can. Its too bad, cause I like the looks of the OBS better than the new trucks.

ancho

Reaction score
Well, there's always the option of an engine swap if you're a diehard OBS lover! Get the best of both worlds.

I forgot to mention, gearing also helps the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks a little, I don't think the 1/2 ton could be ordered with 4.11 or 4.56 gears.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@ancho When my stock engine finally kicks the bucket on my truck I am probably going to take a real hard look at swaping in a 6l. I've heard that the 6L in a gmt400 can actually get upwards of 20mpg highway.

I like the quad cabs and interiors of the newer ones, too bad they made the outside all rounded and girlie like.

I can agree on the sheet metal of the newer trucks. I've seen some really nice looking ones but they seem to take more work to get to look the way I like than a gmt400 would. As for the interior there are some things that I like but there are some things that I like better about the gmt-400s.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw a few 1500HD with levelling kits and some nice rims and tires and I gotta say....not bad. Saying that, ya see trucks on here that I like way more. I hate the fact that I dont have the space and time to do an engine swap to a quad cab 3/4 ton GMT400....Id love to. Well see, I might keep the old beater around and turn her into a offroader, if I can get the wife not to castrate me when I take over the garage for a SAS...:D