Weak Shock, Weak Spring or Need to Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironfireman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in need of some help. I've include two pictures of my truck. My passenger side is 3/4 higher than my driver side. I included a picture of the bolts of the torsion bars. The gentleman I bought the truck from, I'm almost certain he never touched the torsion bars. He may have, I can't confirm. But how can I tell if I have a weak spring, weak shock, or I need to crank my torsion bars? I'm wanting to upgrade to a 285, put I know my driver side will rub at a quarter turn. The tabs on the cross member are all the way down. What should I do? Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Ironfireman

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can tell by the second picture, but the top bolt is tucked in the cross member channel. The far bolt is out past the cross member. Someone please help, thank you.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Shocks don't hold your vehicle up, springs (in this case of the torsion variety) do.

If the bolts aren't equal, that would explain your cockeyed truck. They do also sag with time and need adjustment sometimes.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That far bolt (The Drivers Side) is clearly backed way out compared to the passenger side, basically the drivers side is decranked for some reason (Someone may have had the LCA's out at some point), You need to tighten that bolt until its about even with the passenger side bolt, or until the truck sits level. I would say its unlikely that anything other than that is wrong.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Where should the bolts be in relation to stock height? Like far in the cross member should the bolts be?

That I cannot help you with. I would honestly just measure from a marked position on th efender down to the hub center, and make them equal. Then align it.