water Leak in Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puttssee

Reaction score
Passenger side carpet wet after rains. Tried to trace then saw water also dripping from rear view mirror.
Would this be the only leak or could there be more than One?
Thanks

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can there be more than one leak, yes. The best way to find your leaks, takes 2 people. Take a water hose (garden hose) open the valve so that the water is coming out of the hose at a full flow, about 3 or 4 inches from the end of the hose, and not squirting across the yard. Then with 1 person in the truck with a flash light, and the other person running the water over where you think a leak might be. The flow of water will find its way into the area that is not sealed.

Puttssee

Reaction score
Thanks I will give it a shot. I am thinking it might be the door seal. Coming in and running to the low spot. Mirror.
Thanks again.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You say water dripping from mirror, Do you mean passenger door mirror? Is it a manual remote and water dripping from lever? To check door seals sit in the truck put a dollar bill between the door and seal and close door. If you can slide the bill back and forth you have a poor seal. keep trying all around the door. You should feel resistance when pulling the bill towards you. As far as water testing first put your hose on low without a sprayer and start low and work your way up when water starts coming in you know how far up the leak is. If you start high it could leak in at the top but not show till farther down. I had a leak at the seal where the heater takes in fresh air in the cowl area. It showed up on the pass floor but was coming in through the heater case. Last resort put a sprayer on and clamp hose to something so it sprays at the truck like rain and sit inside and watch. If you have compressed air you can sometimes localize a leak by spraying soapy water on the outside of suspected area and blow air at it from inside, look for bubbles. 42 years in the body work business and I have chased a lot of leaks.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is dripping from the mirror in the center of the windshield it would have to be the top of the windshield leaking, Water doesn't go uphill unless forced.

Puttssee

Reaction score
I live in BC Canada. Having lots of rain. Floor on passenger side and drivers side wet. The truck has a sun visor. I took it off and laid down some butayl tape Then dicor on the screws and around the screw after I put the visor back on. Still have a leak. The door seal on the cab I can wiggle and move. Will the water follow this down and enter the cab?
As for the windshield will I have to remove to fix the leak at the top/ Or is there another way?
Thanks

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
There's typically 3 or so areas water can leak in, area one is a seam in the cowl that lets water leak in down to the blower motor housing I believe, and a small hole under the right side removal plastic panel that needs to be sealed, or a bad seal somewhere in the cab like you said, I've never heard of the mirror area leaking though?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would first put a strip of shipping tape across the top of the windshield to seal the seam . then give it a good water test. If no leak the windshield should be removed and the cab checked for rust. Repair and paint before replacing windshield. You chances of getting the windshield out without breaking it are slim. A good glass man might but they have no incentive as if it breaks they sell a new one. When water testing let the water run a long time as it may take a while for the water to show up.

PhilCP

Reaction score
My windshield leaks like a son of a gun. Drips off the rear view mirror. Same thing.

It's a stone chip that's rusted away ever so slightly right on top edge of the windshield seal..

I ran a big bead of clear silicone along the outer top seal of the windshield as an emergency roadside fix one day ( not proud of it ) but I've been dry for years lol