WARNING: Viewer discretion is advised.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1999 ccsb 7.4L
Z81 Hartland conversion
Michigan truck since day one/rusty since day two!
Oh yeah and the paint has the typical peeling of the white pain from that era.
You must be registered for see images attach

My dad left me this truck. My brother ended up with it after he passed and after leaving it sit for the past 4 years I finally got it.
I'm going through it to make it road worthy again. It needs everything!
I've replaced all break lines and front break pads and calipers. Front doors are shot.
It seems like everything I work on, on this truck uncovers another issue.
I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for their help and support.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I had to replace the spring hangers, they were rotted out.
I soaked the lower bolt to the shackle for a few days with a home made penatrating oil.
1 part atf with 1 part acetone.
Add it to a squirt bottle.
It seems to work well.
Air hammer the factory rivets off.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck has a 3" body lift on it. It also has nerf bars. With the body lift the nerf bars hang low and attract your eyes to the frame. I removed them painted the frame and moved the holes up on the brackets as high as they would allow which is 2 inches.
This looks much better

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Typically I don't like body lifts because they throw everything out of wack, and show more frame than I'd ever want to see, but the nerf bar being put in the right place makes me think twice.

Now if only there were a sure fire way to bring the bumper back up and keep the hitch in line with everything.

Looks like you're in for a good project. A little too much color-matching for may tastes though. And that ugly valence. What's the end goal for it?

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
End goal is to have a nice truck again. Yeah I'm not crazy about the valence either!
I plan on putting a little bigger tire on it, probably with the help of a lift block in the rear and a torsion crank.
It has 305's on it now. I'd like to go with 315's.
All the color match stuff was done from the conversion company when new.
The hitch has been removed. I'm putting the rear bumper where it should be with the aid of relocation brackets and I will install a suburban hitch, I've heard that works.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've installed a tailgate off a dually. I replaced bed side hinges. Removed the old tailgate latches and handle and put the ones from my old tailgate on it.
The ones that were on the new tail gate were the steel hinge style and I prefer the cable.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I need to move the bumper up!
I took it off and checked it out but it doesn't look like I can flip the mounts easily. Or some will have to be left out in order to put it on with the mounts flipped.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was the Z81? Never heard of this package or conversion. Is it similar to Centurion? What all does it include?