Warning: 4L60E and the glowshift transmission temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Ha. I didn't want to say it earlier but the glow shift sensor looks janky as hell.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
180 is kinda high unless you don't have an auxiliary trans cooler. I only see temps like that towing during the summer.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Dion

Reaction score
Hey guys so I went to install a transmission temp gauge from glowshift today, I put the temp sensor in the test port but had to pull it out to redo the wiring connector. Anyways, when I pulled it out of the test port the end was absolutely destroyed and the metal tip had separated from the bolt itself. I had not even run the truck yet and didn't get any resistance or feel anything bad when I installed it... luckily the whole sensor came out without anything falling into the transmission. I talked to a tech at glowshift and he said they have never seen that happen to a 4L60E but he is sending me a test port extension they make for the Dodge trucks and he said it should work and will move the sensor away from the internal parts. So just a word of warning, if you buy a temp sensor gauge from glowshift then buy the extension too just to be safe!

This is wrong, the extender goes out and blocks the shift linkage and you can not shift into D,2, or 1... I got the sensor installed today and after almost 3 hours of trying to figure it out the solution: Just don't tighten the sensor all the way down. From what I could tell poking around the test port stops and has a hole in the top of it for fluid to flow through. I guess what happened the first time was that I was tightening it down and the sensor is so flimsy that it broke and I didn't feel and resistance. I put it in 3 times and pulled it back out and the new one didn't break. Installed it, drove around, got the temp up to 180 (Someone tell me what is normal please) and did not see any leaks. Seems to be working fine, I'll keep checking it and let you guys know if anything changes!

Dion

Reaction score
I just got the MaxTow & trans temp gauge & sender. Just went to install sender & barely getting snug when only 2 fingers on short wrench felt the unthinkable, yep. Backed it out, knew no way stripped, wrenched my whole life, the Long sender tip stayed inside tranny stuck into something bad. Paper thin broken metal, just so wrong. Midnight Sunday now trying not ez out & it's not coming out yet. Too unbelievable, MaxTow instructions was to use this port, with Thier sender .75" & em plug is .25". Thought of pulling it all, transfer case, other truck middle of restoration so in driveway. Any advise, can I just put plug back in? Or is there a pressure sensor inside this sender just broke off into?