Walbro fuel pump assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone used the Walbro complete pump/bucket/float OE style replacement unit?? I didn't even know they sold one until I looked directly on their site. It's listed as part# TU435 and only $158.70 for the 4 door MPI version 5.7 engine code R, the 2 door model for some reason is part# TU435 and list for $162.14 not sure why they would be different. There is also a high pressure assembly with a 255LPH pump listed without a part # but shows a price of $192.95

I'm thinking that's a pretty darn good deal for complete assembly replacements from a well known reliable performance pump supplier.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are TONS of Walbro fakes on Fleabay. Will you be ordering from their site? Also bear in mind that the factory pump likely will flow for more power than you'll ever make. Any more than that will just bypass more fuel past the regulator.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is directly from Walbro, not a second or 3rd party supplier. You can go to Walbrofuelpumps.com and enter your vechicle info and it'll list all compatible units they sell.

OE replacement will work fine for me as my Tahoe is not gonna exceed the stock 400hp ability of the system. I'm thinking this pump replacement plus the MPI spider upgrade should be a very good fuel system upgrade.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone know a rough limit of how much boost you can cram into one of these Vortec SBEs without putting things in too much danger? Seems like one of the 255LPH Walbros and an upgraded spider with larger injectors would be a good way to start on the path to finding that out...

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Does anyone know a rough limit of how much boost you can cram into one of these Vortec SBEs without putting things in too much danger? Seems like one of the 255LPH Walbros and an upgraded spider with larger injectors would be a good way to start on the path to finding that out...

I'll bet Mr Wynjammer could tell you.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those are the spiders that came to mind...

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I have searched and cannot find very much info about the pump style changes, what years and what models.

I was watching a video of a guy replacing his pump in a 1998 c1500, when he pulled it from the tank there was not a bucket on it. It was just some hard metal lines going down to the pump with the little sock filter on it.

Does anyone know if there was a different pump between the C & K models? Both my tahoe and my truck are K1500. Also if there a way to determine which pump you have before pulling it from the tank? Is there an RPO code or something like there is for gear ratios and stuff.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Go to rockauto's website and look at the descriptions by model for the C/K pickups and suburbans. There are different pumps.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even rockauto is showing 3 different pumps for both 2 and 4 door tahoes. They are listed as:

Code GFV
Code GFL
Code GFU

Also there are several options available from the same manufacturers. Good grief, this can be confusing if you don't just buy the first pump assembly that you find listed for these trucks. My 1999 Trans Am was so much easier to find direct replacements or upgrade direct fit pumps for.

I'm gonna look for those codes in the RPO list today and see anything is there. Also wondering if since they made the switch in body style in 1999 if that's effecting my searches. I need to look and see if this truck was built in 98 or 99. If it was a late 98 build date I might actually need a pump for a 98 if there is a difference.

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
Even rockauto is showing 3 different pumps for both 2 and 4 door tahoes. They are listed as:

Code GFV
Code GFL
Code GFU

Also there are several options available from the same manufacturers. Good grief, this can be confusing if you don't just buy the first pump assembly that you find listed for these trucks. My 1999 Trans Am was so much easier to find direct replacements or upgrade direct fit pumps for.

I'm gonna look for those codes in the RPO list today and see anything is there. Also wondering if since they made the switch in body style in 1999 if that's effecting my searches. I need to look and see if this truck was built in 98 or 99. If it was a late 98 build date I might actually need a pump for a 98 if there is a difference.

The 2 and 4 door Tahoe tanks are different, due to the length of the vehicle. The 4 door is on the side, the 2 door is in the center behind the bumper.