Vortec tow ratings...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I see a grey circle with a white line through it. I should compare my 97 manual to my 98 for fun.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've been loading up more then that lately, my trailer only weighs abt 2.5k then with logs ranging in diameter from 3" - 25" but most all being cut 10-15 ft, I know that's gotta be more then 5k total.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There was no SAE standard for tow ratings back then anyway. Clearly my 1500 is nowhere near stock, but it has no trouble with 8500#+. It'll be even better once I hydroboost it. A lot of people claim you'll lose your ass in court, but hell even the DOT sometimes looks at permissible axle weights differently than the manufacturer did.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
DOT isn’t the one who will get you in court. It will either be state law, or the insurance company, they don’t like to pay out for anything. So anything they can pawn off on you, they will.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
DOT isn’t the one who will get you in court. It will either be state law, or the insurance company, they don’t like to pay out for anything. So anything they can pawn off on you, they will.

Just hire Frank Azar, The Strong Arm. He'll fight those evil insurance companies.

Boomhower83

Reaction score
In Iowa they go off of your registration and what you have your truck licensed for as far as weight. I have my k3500 licensed at 12 ton and my k2500 at 8 ton (that is GVWR). If you are non-commercial or a farmer specified "Not for hire" they don't really mess with you unless you have some pos truck and trailer with crap hanging off of it. I have a 9,000# skid steer that I regularly pull with some attachments plus my truck has a flatbed with 100 gal. fuel cell, tool box and compressor (I know I am pushing 12t with that setup) and I have never been bothered.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Hooked up to a 6.5k custom built trailer (empty) and then loaded a 3500lb car on it..- No problems for the K1500. The trailer is a tri-axle with each axle rated at 7k, and I had it loaded so there was only 600lbs of tongue weight. Truck seemed to haul it fine, was as controllable as the 2500HD we have but with noticeably less go-juice, haha.