Vortec head swap help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 93 k1500 5.7. I just purchased some vortec heads and I'm in debate on what intake I want to use. If I use the gmpp tbi vortec intake I will have to plumb the egr externally which is easy with stock vortec drivers manifold, but the problem is I don't see any bung for the o2 sensor on it? My other thought was to use eldebroch 71163 and a adapter plate for my TBI. It also has provision for egr, but I'd run into the same problem if I use the vortec exhaust manifold. Can anyone enlighten me on the o2 sensor location for the vortec exhaust manifold? Or my other options for intake/exhaust on vortec heads? Can't find clear answers anywhere

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vortec exhaust has the O2 in the exhaust pipe not the exhaust manifold so you would need a weld in O2 bung

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
You might be better off getting a set of shorty headers that have an O2 sensor port. If you are going boosted you're going to need better flow than a stock exhaust turdpipe anyhow.

EDIT: Sorry to Stokes1114, you aren't the one going boosted, I confused your situation with Mule89 since I was just reading his turbo thread

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be better off getting a set of shorty headers that have an O2 sensor port. If you are going boosted you're going to need better flow than a stock exhaust turdpipe anyhow.

EDIT: Sorry to Stokes1114, you aren't the one going boosted, I confused your situation with Mule89 since I was just reading his turbo thread
You have a point in because those Shorty's would flow a lot better but gasket leaks might be a problem with the weight of the turbo. I am curious about the vortec head swap myself because I may end up doing that. Most of my concern is throttle linkage and how would it effect the computer with factory tune.