vortec head s on a tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey i found a pair of vortec heads in for sale for 400 that has been rebuild.Can i put them directly on my tbi 350 with now problems or should i just get them and port and polished them and put a cam in it to?iI just realy what to know is is it a direct fit and would the tbi set up go on top of it,plus well i get any power gains and fuel milage out of to so if any one has ran vortec heads on there 350 tbi let me know how yall like them and what yall had to do to make it run right thanks:hmm:

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're better off keeping the whirly port tbi heads on there, as those heads compliment the tbi.

and the vortec heads contemplate the vortec set up.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was told it was not a direct fit and the tbi intake will not fit on the vortec heads,but i was also told that the vortec heads where a big diferencs in power and milage.But if i can make it work great i just want to get more bang for the buck,and i can also put bigger cams and a super charger if so so what do yall think

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id like to know more too. i have a set of vortec heads that I got for free

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
The heads will bolt to the block fine but you will need a specific intake manifold. Either the gm TBI/vortec intake or a vortec intake for carbs and use an adapter for the tbi. If you use the carb intake you will loose the EGR. You can keep it with the gm intake. I am planning on doing this with my TBI engine. I have all the parts to do it but have other things going at the moment to finish it.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do yall think it will make more power with just heads and no came?hell if it makes better power with just the heads i will just wait to buy the came and other goodies for the 500 hp am looking for or supercharge it with just the head swap and cam what yall think?

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew one guy that drilled and tapped the heads to use the stock intake, and another guy made an adaptor plate.

The Daver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of just die grinding the stock intake as the only difference is the angle the bolts go in. And this is only the middle two bolts so all you do is get a die grinder and oval the hole a little tiny bit until the bolt threads into the head correctly...Now this is just word of mouth since I have never done it its just what I was told when I was looking into it. As for power I have also been told you will pick some up since the vortec head ultimately flows much better but you notice it in the top end so you will probably loose a little torque but gain some power and maybe mpgs. But this will very on other mods you may have done and every truck is different so dont quote me on it lol but GMPP does make a vortec to throttle body intake that is supposed to be just as good as the edelbrock TBI intake so the safe route is to go with the GMPP intake and just direct bolt on and your upgrading your intake which will ultimately help the flow too. But the last time I looked those GMPP intakes were kinda high in price.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The vortec heads use vertical bolts on the ends of the manifold. They can't be adapted so you have to use a vortec manifold. I've heard of 40hp gains with a tune on vortec heads alone. I was looking at the weiand manifolds and a carp to tbi adapter for mine, it seems like a worthwile upgrade if you pan on keeping the small block. I'm going to swap to a 5.3 because it will be better in the long run.

shrapnel

Reaction score
Is it worth it to go with a GMPP or Edelbrock intake to keep EGR?

MA recently changed their emissions regulations and everything pre-96 is exempt from emissions (they just measure the opacity of the exhaust at the tailpipe). So I don't have to worry about passing emissions if I lose the EGR.

I got a 93 GMC ECSB sitting in the yard with a 350 TBI in it. I want to stick with the SBC instead of doing an LSx swap, but I haven't figured out what I want to do with it. Right now I'm leaning towards a Professional Products intake, with a carb to TBI adapter. Maybe down the road when I get bored and want to switch things up a bit I might throw an Edelbrock E-Force on it.

Last edited: