Virginia height restrictions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. 557

Reaction score
My first post-here goes: I have a 1988 suburban V10 1/2 ton 4wd vehicle. I have been contemplation putting some lift on it, however, it seems as if Va. height laws restrict me from doing so. According to Va., passenger vehicles are allowed only up to 22 inches from the road to bumper, trucks up to 4500lbs gvwr up to 28, trucks from 4501 to 7500 up to 29 inches. Without any lift, my suburbans' front bumper is 22". I checked wikipedia on the vehicle classification and they literally term the vehicle as a truck, however its technically a full size SUV. IMO, it offers the same functions and features as the same vehicle size pick up trucks and also offer them in 3/4 ton and 1 ton suburban. The state of Virginia doesn't classify them as truck, but passenger vehicle and doesn't offer any selection. Although it isnt any big deal that I get the vehicle registration classification listed to truck for lifting purposes, the states' vehicle inspection agencies are required by law NOT to pass for inspection any vehicle over the height restriction. Anyone have any input on this? Would like to know if anyone has ever received a waiver from an agency and how to go about getting one?

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
i live in cali and we have a ton of laws as everyone knows but im almost positve my truck is higher than the bumper law and i have never gotten introuble for my bumper height.(knock on wood) so if you want to put a 6" lift i dont see it being a problem because thats super common. so thats what id do if i were you. how big you planning on going?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow that strict? up here in West virginia they allow us 31 inches from ground to lower bumper or frame whichever is lowest. Our 86 had a 4 inch lift with 33's and the back was almost right on 31. I thought VA was the same or close to it though.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your gvwr is ~7300 so...29/30"

6" and 35's you will be just fine.

Mr. 557

Reaction score
If you have a pickup, then you are fine. Somehow, Virginia classified the Blazer/Suburban as passenger vehicle instead of truck. I have even seen some model GMC suburbans with the emblem "Truck" on the rear as well. I have sought for the state agency in charge of classifying these vehicles. IMO, the state should in the very least, give state registrants the OPTION to choose between truck or passenger vehicle as their classification if they their vehicle in a SUV. Its my opinion, however it makes sense because an SUV isnt fully just a passenger vehicle nor a pickup truck and could go either way. With the exception of having a separate "Bolt-on" rear bed, their really isnt much difference between the suburban and the same version pick up truck. Also, Virginia does have the option for apply for antique registration on vehicles 25yrs old or older. No inspections are necessary for those vehicles, however thats still 2 years away for my vehicle. I received an email this evening regarding which state agency to direct this issue with. I will notify of my developments.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
an 88 burb or blazer aint gmt400 platiform now is it? should be squarebody style if I remember right and if so 6 inch is gonna put him over definatelty 35's will. As I said we had an 86 with only a 4 inch and 33's and it was right on 31 on the back bumper and like 29 or so up front.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
an 88 suburban is the oobs.

6" and 35's will be over, but im telling you they probably wouldn't mess with you.

Mr. 557

Reaction score
Another note: Virginia defines pickup truck or panel truck as every motor vehicle designed for the transportation of property and having a registered GVWR of 7,500lbs or less. According to Edmonds, the suburban was originally designed for commercial use and then evolved to accommodate passenger transportation as well. I guess the factory towing and RV package isn't a clue of its intent to DMV!

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had truck plates on my old 96 1/2 ton pickup. definately wasnt supposed to but the gvwr on the title said 10,000 so they dont care, they just said is it the big one, i said yeah and they gave them to me. I didnt do it on my 94 because its more expensive.