Verticle hood mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_TiTTy

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post and tutorial. I've looked on just about every form for this and could only find ricer teens doing this to their rice 240s lol. anyways this is what I've done to rice my truck just a-bit.

Tools
you will need

1. Ratchet with 1/2 inch socket
2. Pliers
3. Hacksaw with metal cutting blade
4. File
5. Sharpie
6. 1/2 inch drill bit (preferably with drill, pliers will work if you have time)
7. Phillips screwdriver
8.Tape measure

Materials

1. 1/2 by 1 1/4 inch aluminum stock

First thing is to open and prop the hood up (so it doesn't fall on you) then with the half inch socket take the hood spring stays off, Then with the screwdriver take off the two black cowl? covers off and cut both like this
You must be registered for see images attach
then open your hood to the desired angle and prop it up there. Next cut with the hacksaw the first layer of the firewalls pinch weld here on both sides and use the pliers to bend/ rip off the excess metal. (I used the material i used as a guide for the width)

For the placement of the holes for the new hood stays, I cut the aluminum stock to 15 inches and drilled two holes either side 1/4 inch from the ends centered.

Then for the Hardware i reused the 1/2 inch bolts from the bottom of the spring hinge with red locktite
and for the top side i used 1/2 inch bolt just pushed through the hinge stay and the hinge

Then its done, although i probably missed a step its pretty straight foreword and only took my 30 minutes to complete.

Although its a heavy ass hood it opens way further (for those damn #8 #7 sparkplugs lol)

Any thoughts/opinions on it? or question on how/why just ask and ill answer them the best i can.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so when your done, you just unpop the top of the new rods @ the hood & lay them down? Do you have brackets attached to the fender that they sit in or just bounce around on top of the wheelwells?

Don't get me wrong it's different & as long as your happy. that's all that matters.

my truck is nowhere close to being a show truck & w/ the amount of times that I need my hood open that far, I can just unbolt the springs & prop the hood higher. Then put it back when done & not have those visible (when the hood is closed) notches in the cowl showing.