Using oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I refilled mine by a quart one day being stupid and it absolutely did smoke at idle.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its either going to be your rings or valve seals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
actually now that i look the oil is reading a little above the grid like a little over filled could that be the cause of the smoke? it's never smoked that bad before and i just put that oil in yesterday evening and it's full past the grid. i don't believe it's a bad head gasket because there are no leaks and no coolant in the oil and the heads only have a few thousand miles on them so i don't think it could be seals or anything i'm stumped
Ok. This sounds weird but hear me out. I drive my old truck a few times a year, everytimw i check the oil level. One time it was barely showing anything on the dipstick so i added a qt. Still showed low so i added another, still showed low so i added a 3rd. That seemed to do the trick. Well the following weekend i decided to change the oil and i drained out 8 qts of oil. 3 qts too much. So i took a long pipe cleaner and stuck it down in the dipstick tube and some crud came out. That crud was basiclly wiping my dipstick clean as i pulled it out. You may have a similar issue. I would change the oil and pour it into gallon jugs and see how much you actually have in there.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. This sounds weird but hear me out. I drive my old truck a few times a year, everytimw i check the oil level. One time it was barely showing anything on the dipstick so i added a qt. Still showed low so i added another, still showed low so i added a 3rd. That seemed to do the trick. Well the following weekend i decided to change the oil and i drained out 8 qts of oil. 3 qts too much. So i took a long pipe cleaner and stuck it down in the dipstick tube and some crud came out. That crud was basiclly wiping my dipstick clean as i pulled it out. You may have a similar issue. I would change the oil and pour it into gallon jugs and see how much you actually have in there.

could i do the pipe cleaner trick without changing the oil? because i changed the oil like less than two weeks ago i hate to waste that money again yanno what i mean especially if it's burning it to where i have to buy a quart a week or so

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could i do the pipe cleaner trick without changing the oil? because i changed the oil like less than two weeks ago i hate to waste that money again yanno what i mean especially if it's burning it to where i have to buy a quart a week or so
You could drain the oil into a clean container so you could reuse it

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say before you go any further, drop the oil in the engine and change the filter again. Maybe run a magnet through the oil looking for significant pieces of metal? Might be a tell tale sign. I'd stay away from fram filters too. Have never heard anything good about them other than they are cheap and come with that grippy crap on them to make install/removal easier. Put the correct amount of fresh name brand 10w-30 (Chevron Valvoline etc..) back in and try it again with a new filter. Delco and Wix are always good go-to filters. It could be your oil pressure switch is going bad, and thats a lot easier fix than tearing the oil pan off and sliding in oversized bearings. Hook up a real life analog gauge while your at it too. Never assume that the info you're getting from your dash is the absolute truth. If you've been adding oil in lately then there is a distinct possibility that you are over full and that could lead to way more issues than just low oil pressure, and that's why I'm thinking a spill and fill is probably your best option right now

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say before you go any further, drop the oil in the engine and change the filter again. Maybe run a magnet through the oil looking for significant pieces of metal? Might be a tell tale sign. I'd stay away from fram filters too. Have never heard anything good about them other than they are cheap and come with that grippy crap on them to make install/removal easier. Put the correct amount of fresh name brand 10w-30 (Chevron Valvoline etc..) back in and try it again with a new filter. Delco and Wix are always good go-to filters. It could be your oil pressure switch is going bad, and thats a lot easier fix than tearing the oil pan off and sliding in oversized bearings. Hook up a real life analog gauge while your at it too. Never assume that the info you're getting from your dash is the absolute truth. If you've been adding oil in lately then there is a distinct possibility that you are over full and that could lead to way more issues than just low oil pressure, and that's why I'm thinking a spill and fill is probably your best option right now
you couldn't pay me to use a fram filter again they are cardboard junk our local advanced auto don't even sell them anymore i use ac delco and castrol gtx oil. i will look into the oil pressure switch and drain the oil pull the pan and check the pickup and all make sure all is sound down that way and go from there. i'm also going to try and make a catch can for the pcv just incase in sucking in lots of oil just to try all my options

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you couldn't pay me to use a fram filter again they are cardboard junk our local advanced auto don't even sell them anymore i use ac delco and castrol gtx oil. i will look into the oil pressure switch and drain the oil pull the pan and check the pickup and all make sure all is sound down that way and go from there. i'm also going to try and make a catch can for the pcv just incase in sucking in lots of oil just to try all my options
may have solved the problem. i drained some oil out to back where it was on the cross hatch marks and adjusted the timing on it a little more advanced and put some more gas in it since she was low and no more smoking as of right now. i still have low oil pressure on both mechanical gauge and dash.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tanner,
. . . You can also install 15w/40 Rotella in the engine at oil change. That would also increase your ZDDP count with that oil. Your idle hot oil pressure should increase also.
That's just my .02.
Mike

This is NOT how you fix an engine with excessive clearances due to wear/contaminants opening it up. It is what the motor needs if it was built loose, but it would have had to have all clearances loose and not just rods/mains. Also, a 15W40 oil will NOT increase hot running pressures over a 5 or 10W40 oil. The only way that's possible is when one oil runs thicker than the other. The first number is the cold viscosity and bigger number is warm viscosity. It's a slippery slope that shockingly few seem to grasp.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is NOT how you fix an engine with excessive clearances due to wear/contaminants opening it up. It is what the motor needs if it was built loose, but it would have had to have all clearances loose and not just rods/mains. Also, a 15W40 oil will NOT increase hot running pressures over a 5 or 10W40 oil. The only way that's possible is when one oil runs thicker than the other. The first number is the cold viscosity and bigger number is warm viscosity. It's a slippery slope that shockingly few seem to grasp.
i just don't see how everything can be so worn already and it not even have over 80k on the original motor thy i got off an old man i'm thinking it may be something like the pcv system or maybe leaking oil on acceleration