Upgrades for 7500ish# travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I'm not here to tell you what to do, but I will let you know the trailer you are wanting to tow is heavier than the tow rating of your truck. This information is straight from the 1993 GM product guide.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now, can your truck tow it? Sure.
Is it safe for you and others on the road? It can be with the right equipment and a good driver. That's open for your interpretation.
Is it legal? NO.

I will say I have hauled more weight than my truck is rated for, I wont lie about that. However I don't anymore. If you are doing this as a regular thing you are going to want to try to cut some weight in the trailer.. you say 7,700# GVW of the trailer - is that loaded with water, food, fuel and gear, or is that empty? Are you going off the sticker on the side of the trailer or have you rolled it across a scale? I would suggest doing so as MFG listed weights are typically pretty inaccurate and aren't "as built" weights. My old alpenlite camper said it weighted 3,295 LBS with water and propane and "installed equipment" when in reality it was closer to 4,000 LBS.

I can tell you the biggest thing that is cutting your 1/2ton's tow rating down is the brakes. They are also one of THE most important aspects of towing.

If you are dead set on towing with this truck, here is what I would recommend.

A good trailer brake controller and brakes on both trailer axles
Weight distribution hitch and sway control (plus make sure your reciever hitch is rated for the trailer/attached properly)
Load D or greater tires on your truck
Large AUX trans cooler
Trans temp gauge
Rear airbags or extra overload springs
Good towing mirrors

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I have long since given up on this idea as I know it will never be legal.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not here to tell you what to do, but I will let you know the trailer you are wanting to tow is heavier than the tow rating of your truck. This information is straight from the 1993 GM product guide.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now, can your truck tow it? Sure.
Is it safe for you and others on the road? It can be with the right equipment and a good driver. That's open for your interpretation.
Is it legal? NO.

I will say I have hauled more weight than my truck is rated for, I wont lie about that. However I don't anymore. If you are doing this as a regular thing you are going to want to try to cut some weight in the trailer.. you say 7,700# GVW of the trailer - is that loaded with water, food, fuel and gear, or is that empty? Are you going off the sticker on the side of the trailer or have you rolled it across a scale? I would suggest doing so as MFG listed weights are typically pretty inaccurate and aren't "as built" weights. My old alpenlite camper said it weighted 3,295 LBS with water and propane and "installed equipment" when in reality it was closer to 4,000 LBS.

I can tell you the biggest thing that is cutting your 1/2ton's tow rating down is the brakes. They are also one of THE most important aspects of towing.

If you are dead set on towing with this truck, here is what I would recommend.

A good trailer brake controller and brakes on both trailer axles
Weight distribution hitch and sway control (plus make sure your reciever hitch is rated for the trailer/attached properly)
Load D or greater tires on your truck
Large AUX trans cooler
Trans temp gauge
Rear airbags or extra overload springs
Good towing mirrors
Can I ask where you got this product guide? I've been looking around and haven't had any luck.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk