Unbolting Manifolds Without Removing Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought abt welding it but no room unfortunately. Took the wheel well out and looks like I should have enough room by removing gear linkage an moving stuff around but won't be till next week when I can give it a try.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If welding a nut to a bolt to remove it I find that welding a washer to the bolt works better as you are not welding into a hole. then weld the nut to the washer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If welding a nut to a bolt to remove it I find that welding a washer to the bolt works better as you are not welding into a hole. then weld the nut to the washer.

My cousin said to do this if snapped below flush. I've not yet needed to. I'm guessing you use a washer whose OD matches the ID of the hole?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a washer with a hole the size of the broken bolt. If you then weld a short bolt to the washer then you are welding outside the bolt to the washer instead of trying to weld inside a small hole.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I live in rusty NY and every tbi engine I've had has never broken an exhaust manifold bolt. Gmt800s on the other hand.....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe my bad luck, but I wrung off 2 in the heads and a lower stud for the y-pipe when I took my engine out and it's a pretty much rust free truck.

You never can tell. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I was able to drill in steps and re-tap once the engine was out.

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well haven't had time to do much but did pull the wheel well and it really opened up some room.

You must be registered for see images attach