Unbolting Manifolds Without Removing Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but i could not find it by searching.
So i'm wanting to get some headers for my '93 TBI 350, but i've heard the manifold bolts are a real pain to remove unless you're taking the engine out. I've heard a couple different methods but i was going to see what you guys had to offer on it as well.
What would be the best way to get the manifold bolts out while still in the engine bay? Trying to avoid breaking them.
My manifolds are in pretty good shape, there's no rusted out holes or anything and they're not falling apart, but they are very rusty!
Any help is appreciated :waytogo:

ridinkooky

Reaction score
i just did this on mine the other day and mine is a rusted mess of an Alaska truck. All I did was PB Blast each bolt a couple times a day for a weekend. then I used a 1/2" ratchet with a pipe for more leverage and reach. I gently broke them loose and all came out without issue. ive heard you can also idle to operating temp first and the heat will help get them out.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just changed out motors last december and I pulled the manifolds before pulling the motor and all bolts came out easy peasy. All the bolts came out of the donor motor manifolds too.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 pb blast, let em soak over night and then just slowly loosen. I did my 94 couple weeks ago and only problem was busting my buckles, dnt like gloves dnt get as great of a grip. Was pretty easy

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I yanked mine on my 88 back in 09 which was a U.P. MI truck and they all came right out. The real fun is fishing a new long tube header into position.

White mule

Reaction score
I just did shorty headers on my big block and found taking off the inner fender wells made the hole process much easier, took less than 30 minutes to remove them but made all the bolts easy to get to .

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I got a question for all you. Just finished putting all new gaskets on heads, intake manifold, etc. Well forgot I had snapped bolt in driver side head exhaust manifold, an of course the very back one and it's snapped in the head. I cnt fit my drill drill down there because the shifting linkage. How would you get the bolt out? Remove everything again, remove the linkage, what? Local exhaust shop gave me number to bolt removal guy who might be 150 to 200

phat69

Reaction score
Pay the money if he can do it without pulling the head.