Unable to get into 4WD Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEIslander

Reaction score
My 94 Chevy 3500 has a new "issue". On the weekend we were pulling downed trees and I was doing so in 4WD Low. While pulling a tree (likely about 2000 lb) I heard a bit of a bang and the truck wouldn't move. I shut off the truck and restarted, placed the trans in Neutral and tried to re-engage 4WD Low. When I attempt this I hear nasty grinding. I get grinding also trying to put the truck into 2wd or 4wd high (trans in neutral) however I can engage 2wd and 4wd high if I shut down the engine first. Any suggestions on what may be broken? This truck has the Borg Warner 4401 Transfer Case.
Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other, lighter-duty transfer cases have a habit of wearing-out the plastic pads on the shift forks, leading to partial gear engagement. They they "pop out of gear". There's also a snap-ring that breaks leading to problems with the "encoder motor" getting into the various ranges.

No idea on the B-W heavy-duty unit.