Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
No. I was working on the Buick and getting some **** done that I needed to do during normal business hours on my last two rain days. It's the end of the season push in asphalt right now. Hours are gonna be nuts for the next couple weeks and then I'll be slowing down. But the baby is due in late December so I have that to contend with as well. I have a couple projects in the house I need to get done and baby proofing some things before she gets here.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So.....remember my coil issue that was causing the truck to randomly shut off after it got up to temp? It was never a coil issue......it returned Tuesday. Was driving all over the place getting stuff done due to being rained out Monday and Tuesday. I was on my way home and the truck died as I was cruising along. I was on my way to get the front clip on Sunday night and it had a small fit of hiccups on the freeway but it was so quick I couldn't tell what was going on. Similar to my ICM failure in it's early stages. But I drive it two hours consecutively after and it had zero trouble until Tuesday.

After I got to the side of the road in the pouring rain I sat for about 5 mins and it fired right back up like nothing was wrong. Again, same situation that the new coil appeared to have rectified not too long ago. Luckily I was an 1/8 mile from a Napa. I sung in and got another coil, a dizzy cap, and rotor. I unplugged the coil and hooked up the new one. Laid it on the intake to get me home. I threw all the new stuff on in 10 mins. But then it wouldn't start.

So I started making sure I plugged everything back in. Nothing was unhooked. I turned the key and it came to life. Odd...... It ran for about 5 mins and shut off again. Fired right back up. I started wiggling wires and when I got to the ICM harness, it died. Fired back up, moved the plug, died. Wouldn't fire. Moved the wires back to their original orientation, fired up. So I got a new ICM plug with pigtail.

Also got new locks for the Weatherguard.

I'm slowly getting a handle on this truck again.

The Buick is back on the road. I replaced the blown brake line. 3 more to go on that. Winter is looming. I need tires for it very soon.

Tyler/T-Unit

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Are Napa ignition components any good? I need some stuff for my truck and I really don't want to wait on shipping from Rock Auto,

Glad to hear you're getting this thing wrangled back into submission; this was one of the build threads that motivated me to make an account on here.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Maybe it's a good thing that I am getting my truck hobby out of me now, you guys and your wifes make it sound like I have a busy life ahead of me lol

Apparently I had never read your thread so I did, truck has been a lot can't wait to see what you make out of it! I share the same feeling of burning it down. I just have never been ballsy enough to do that yet!

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe it's a good thing that I am getting my truck hobby out of me now, you guys and your wifes make it sound like I have a busy life ahead of me

Just wait, I have to plan my garage time well in advance now a days. I am lucky in the fact that my wife doesn't give me too much grief about working on my trucks. Most of the time it is me. I am gone on average 140 nights a year so I feel guilty working on my truck instead of spending time with my girls when I am home.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I must've lucked out with my girlfriend then, she said she doesn't care if I work on my truck as long as I let her know what I'm doing.

She's also happy about me knowing a bit about these truck because she's going to be guying a 99 Tahoe from her uncle; and after I spent all this time trying to convince her to get an OBS it would work out like that.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Are Napa ignition components any good? I need some stuff for my truck and I really don't want to wait on shipping from Rock Auto,

Glad to hear you're getting this thing wrangled back into submission; this was one of the build threads that motivated me to make an account on here.

Just about everything I get from Napa is good. I don't like buying junk I have to replace over and over. Starters we're a big issue for me for awhile but most of the failures seemed to be caused by other issues like bad wiring and weak batteries and ****. I don't think that the starters themselves we're to blame. The coil issue may not have even been a coil issue to begin with. I tested my original coil and it passed. But I replaced it anyways. It may have just been that unplugging it moved the harness enough to make a stable connection to the ICM again at the plug.

All my ignition stuff is Delphi. I got it at Napa. I think my ICM is echlin which is Napa brand. My oil filters are Napa, made by Wix, my brakes are always Napa.

I'm flattered that my modest build thread about my beat up old rot box influenced memberships. I won't be leaving here for a long time.

Maybe it's a good thing that I am getting my truck hobby out of me now, you guys and your wifes make it sound like I have a busy life ahead of me lol

Apparently I had never read your thread so I did, truck has been a lot can't wait to see what you make out of it! I share the same feeling of burning it down. I just have never been ballsy enough to do that yet!

I've wanted to push it off a cliff before and I'll just walk away. I'll be elated every time it's back on the road again. I just have a couple more little things to do to it but I have the Buick going again so I should be able to get this thing back to par once work slows down in a few weeks.

Good to see your not getting bored?
Love the posts.

I'm never bored brother. I've always got something to do. Between asphalt, the fire Dept, the rides, and home improvements I always have something to mess around with.

Just wait, I have to plan my garage time well in advance now a days. I am lucky in the fact that my wife doesn't give me too much grief about working on my trucks. Most of the time it is me. I am gone on average 140 nights a year so I feel guilty working on my truck instead of spending time with my girls when I am home.
I can't plan anything.

I must've lucked out with my girlfriend then, she said she doesn't care if I work on my truck as long as I let her know what I'm doing.

She's also happy about me knowing a bit about these truck because she's going to be guying a 99 Tahoe from her uncle; and after I spent all this time trying to convince her to get an OBS it would work out like that.

My wife loves that I can fix almost anything. I have experience in damn near every field that costs average joes money. I can repair vehicles, I have home construction knowledge, I have electrical, plumbing, landscape, roofing, drywall, and sprinkling. Not much I can't tackle myself. Unless its something very time consuming. I farmed out my windows. 12k bucks gone but it was summer, my house is cinder block, and I didn't possess the know how or time to replace 20+ windows properly and trim them out professionally.

Replacing my toolbox locks today and wiring in my new ICM plug.

Tyler/T-Unit

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much I can't tackle myself

Same here, if I can do it myself I will. Doesn't always meet the wife's time lines though. lol

We've been remodeling our house little by little, totally gutted it and started over, minor floor plan change was thrown in as well. I've done 95% of the work myself (framing, flooring, plumbing, electrical, drywall, trim, etc.) with some help from my brother and it's a great feeling to walk away knowing that YOU did it. Never get enough time to play with my trucks though...