Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think my ignition switch took a ****. Looking closer at the wiring diagram there is a 10 amp mini crank fuse in my convenience center. If I had a dead short farther down the line it would have surely blown that before it took out a 60 amp Maxi fuse under the hood.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Successfully hotwired the starter. Drove it home. I just have to check the ignition switch to crank fuse wire and make sure it has good continuity and if it does, the ignition switch on the column is my problem

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
New ignition switch. Still blows the fuse. Time to hotwire the position and look for the funny blue smoke.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Still cannot find my short. I hot wired the fuse position and it only fried the wire. So that got me nowhere. Remote start is unhooked, I'm stumped. Based off the wiring diagram i only have one wire left and it's from the plug to the convenience fuse center. And I cannot see up in there. I hate to take it to a shop and find it was that one section I haven't looked at yet. But I'm about tired of these starting issues. And I'm sick of looking at it sitting in the garage.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Still no progress. Fiddled with it for the better part of two hours tonight. Tried isolating and bypassing the one section of wire I believe to be faulty and I couldn't get anything out of it. I hate snipping wires, but it looks like the only way I can bypass it to test is to plug everything back in, snip the trigger wire, tap a bypass and see if that fixes the problem. If the fuse still pops....1 I'm going to rip my hair out and set the truck on fire. I don't have any other options at this point. I'm the electrical guy. I have literally nobody I can call to even give me a second opinion or a fresh set of eyes. I'm on my own and I'm damn near screwed right now.

Tyler/T-Unit

Shebrolet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished reading this entire thread... (started it monday, at work, so not a non stop read)

All I can say is DAMN! This truck has been through a lot, and it would seem you have as well. Quite a fantastic read, I'd glad you kept this thread alive over the years. I have a LOT of stuff I wish I knew how to do, specifically on my truck. I will likely be re-reading this thread to seek advise from all your experiences. Wish I had the mechanical savvy you clearly have. HOpe you get the stupid starting issue figured out and resolved before you set fire to the truck.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I just finished reading this entire thread... (started it monday, at work, so not a non stop read)

All I can say is DAMN! This truck has been through a lot, and it would seem you have as well. Quite a fantastic read, I'd glad you kept this thread alive over the years. I have a LOT of stuff I wish I knew how to do, specifically on my truck. I will likely be re-reading this thread to seek advise from all your experiences. Wish I had the mechanical savvy you clearly have. HOpe you get the stupid starting issue figured out and resolved before you set fire to the truck.

Thanks man. Means a lot to hear things like this. And this truck is going to go through so much more. It'll only get better from here. I have a full restoration in the plans, diesel swap, this is a lifetime project. It won't be going anywhere. And as long as this forum still exists, I'll be around and keeping this thread alive with updates. Even after it just becomes a summer cruiser and dune toy.

I won't set it on fire. I'm just extremely frustrated that I've run across an issue I can't figure out. And it is more my lack.of time than it is ability. After some.decent thought and input from others on the site here I have a solid few ideas for tracking this damn thing down. But my job really sucks down my time.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
If it weren't for these dang jobs, we'd have so much more time to spend with our Trucks!
Well I can make time with 40-60 hours. It's the fact I work at least 70 every week and sometimes up to 90 or more that makes things difficult. I wouldn't know what to do with all my free time if I only worked 40 a week.
But no money lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I'd do alright with money too at 40-60 hours.

Tyler/T-Unit