Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Have you pulled the tb off and checked for fuel sitting in there? The misfire may just be some stupid sensor or something. Hate to see a guy spend that kind of money for a problem not to be fixed.
It's had bad economy since I bought it. Started at 11 8 years ago. It's now down to 9 and a half. The poppet injectors are known for getting all cruddy and leaking. I can smell raw fuel when it's idling. I put a brand new exhaust on it, new fuel tank, injectors are already bought.
I hate it when you can't find the fault. Last time I replaced the wires on my 98 I was worse, found out that 6 out 8 wires were bad.....
I have new plugs in it as of a few weeks ago. I have wires and the spider going on this weekend.
I'm gunna sound stupid but first time I've heard abt the ad244 upgrade. Wondering how I can tell if it's been done before I bought the burb? I have had to replace the alt once and ended up being told the one I have is a heavy duty 180 amp.
Never heard of a 180 amp. The ad244 is only 140 at best. So unless you have a custom built one for whatever reason I have no idea of a 180 amp alternator let alone one that's a direct swap.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Yea i know. I did my first mpfi 5 or so years ago when i bought my truck, then i went ahead and threw a new one in with the new motor.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Is upgrading to a 140 amp alternator as simple as installing it? Do you not have to change anything?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I fiddled with the coolant line a little bit. Other than that it booted right in and plugged in problem free.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got a toolbox again!
You must be registered for see images

Tyler/T-Unit

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never heard of a 180 amp. The ad244 is only 140 at best. So unless you have a custom built one for whatever reason I have no idea of a 180 amp alternator let alone one that's a direct swap.

Tyler/T-Unit

Ok your right, it's been a while so I went an checked, it's a 140, I had 180 on dif vehicle, mixing them up. Anyways, looks good with toolbox

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got my cb whips back on and washed it. I missed this look.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Had an early day off work today. Planned to relax at home but the truck had other plans. It's was surging at idle as I was cleaning out the semi. Popped the hood to find a plug wire resting on one of my header pipes. While accelerating it would miss like crazy. So I limped it home since I already have a box of fresh wires for it slated to go on this weekend anyways.

You must be registered for see images attach

Since I got out early enough, I said screw it and jumped under the hood to tackle the MPFI spider swap.

I got everything done. Spider went in smoothly, plug wires are super simple. Plugs are only a few weeks old. Apparently the delco spider is all Delphi. I found Delphi on every injector and it was 200 bucks cheaper than the Delphi boxed one plus it came with a new bracket and a gasket set.

Got everything together and took it for a test ride. Runs like it never has before. Instant throttle response, smooth all the way through the power band, and no more smoke at WOT.

Ran to the gas station a little later and on the way home it dies like someone reached over and cut the key off. Cranked to Oblivion but wouldn't fire. It caught twice and sit and sputters and dies. After it sat for about 15 mins I tried again and it fired up like nothing was wrong. Ran like a champ. 3 houses away from mine it dies again. Same thing. No warning, just boom. Off. Poked around a bit and couldn't find anything. 15 mins later I try again and it fires again on the first rotation. Let it idle for a bit by the garage while I sat and watched it and again it just straight shut off.

Tyler/T-Unit

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Ignition switch harness or coil maybe? Did you recheck all your connections to make sure nothings lose after the injector job?

Your ext cab molding is crooked and it drives me nuts lol. I spent the longest time trying to figure out why it looked like the cab and bed didnt line up. Now i know lol.