Turbocharging a TBI 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is a reason no one is turbo charging stock TBI setups. You list you have 211K on your engine, surely you are not turbo charging that engine?

Why not? My Vortec was north of 240k when I added a Whipple to it.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah well looks like I'm changing engines anyways because this one just made a milkshake for no reason. Still sounds cool on 7 cylinders LOL :rotflmao::shitsweak:

You must be registered for see images attach

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Hopefully on your build you don't reuse the factory Vortec heads, they crack rather easily. That may be what your problem is now with the coolant in the oil. Happened to mine at 231k

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Good point, but that's even worse than Vortec heads. Maybe not so much for cracking but just terrible heads in general

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbi heads are the worst but it's what I have. Vortec heads flow a lot better and I can pick them up for a little under a $100.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This engine was on a garage floor for three years and I traded some Tonka toys for it because I needed it. It ran fine till about the end of July this year and it dropped a cylinder. Now I'm just going to find a junkyard vortec use a carb intake with TBI adapter plate. Then I will be getting an ebl flash so I can tune for boost.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
>for no reason

FOR NO REASON

Richard

Yeah it has me mad that it made a milkshake when I just stuck a turbo on with no boost. This engine did great 100ft burnouts trying to kill it. :Big Laugh:
I did choose what engine I want to pull out of the yard in my area.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been busy with School and work but over the new year weekend I picked up a 5.7 vortec out of the junkyard for a $150 had 215,*** on the clock and it is so far in good condition. It looks like one injector wasn't firing. I also picked up a couple transmission coolers to help keep the original transmission alive.
You must be registered for see images attach