Turbocharged 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Picture time:

Drivers side view
You must be registered for see images attach

Back of intake bolt location:

Best shot of the drilled/tapped hole location:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
If I was to do it over again, I would choose aftermarket (vortec based) heads over the OEM version. I lucked out on mine and had them checked and cleaned up before using.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was to do it over again, I would choose aftermarket (vortec based) heads over the OEM version. I lucked out on mine and had them checked and cleaned up before using.
I never thought about after market head because of the price. I did do a little research on Edelbrock E-tec heads seem to perform very well.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like a 7.62 shell found its way between 5 and 7
Yeah and tosted 4 other rod bearings I wish I had a tach and knew what rpm it gave way. 3 Pistons came in contact with the cylinder head that is two of them. That was supposed to happen when I boosted the engine in the truck. :Big Laugh: the best part about it was that I had already done two engine swaps before my senior year.

Anyways my plans for a temporary engine. Let's call it Frankenstein for lack of better term. This is going to take 3 engines and make one good one so that I can get this truck out of my dad's driveway:Big Laugh:. I will be using the best looking rings, piston, rods, bearings, crank, and TBI heads maybe the vortec block or block in the truck.:Caffeine: sounds pretty crazy I know but remember I am turbocharging a TBI so I won't deny the fact that I am. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this if not I guess I'll be the first one to take the leap. :grd:

Edit: did not see that on there I thought you meant a bullet hit my engine.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
looks like a 7.62 shell found its way between 5 and 7

No believe it or not that’s a rubber grommet from my aftermarket temperature gauge wiring (the weather tight seal part), but the connection was bad, so I straight wired it. It’s been up there for 13k plus miles and almost two years later, and I keep forgetting to remove it, but it hasn’t moved, so I’m kinda seeing how long it stays.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I never thought about after market head because of the price. I did do a little research on Edelbrock E-tec heads seem to perform very well.

I looked today just for shxt’s and giggles, and the AFR aluminum heads look interesting. $1,7xx for the assembled pair.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked today just for shxt’s and giggles, and the AFR aluminum heads look interesting. $1,7xx for the assembled pair.
:Caffeine:Well guess you have to pay to play. Most likely to use the factory Vortec heads on my dedicated turbo engine. Anyone else on here have a turbocharged 350? I know there are a couple.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because I want this truck to be a some what sleeper I have an extra manifold that I cut a hole in thinking I could weld a flange on and make it look semi factory looking but that was ditched when I realized how much work is involved in welding cast iron.

However I do have the room for 3in exhaust to run to my regular exhaust 3.5 might be able to squeeze in there when I upgrade to a 5.9 Cummins turbo.

I want to see how this turbo works first because I honestly only have $100 in it, $27 in oil line, $15 in the turbo flange about $20 in other miscellaneous parts. So a $162 total for the hot side not including the stack and flapper I am going to use for kicks and giggles. I don't think that's too bad but you have to drill out all the exhaust manifold bolt holes in order to both them on flipped over. I had to do this because when I flip them over the front exhaust and rear exhaust ports we're about an eighth of an inch off. It took me about 2 hours for each manifold. I wanted to use the factory exhaust manifolds because they would be less likely to leak like headers, are also easy to find, and already are on the truck. Also if you have AC you have to remove your AC compressor or disconnect the lines. I was lucky to have an AC delete pulley laying around from my second engine. I also had to move the dipstick because it was in the way but I am trying to figure out how to bend the dipstick to work properly and fit in between the exhaust manifold and the block.

When you start designing your system your best start from one manifold or the other and work your way to the flange. I however messed up and work backwards from the turbo flange that is how the turbo ended up right along the firewall with the exhaust pointing up the windshield. That is why I have redesign my system. I could possibly get the turbo under the hood but due to my limited supply of Mustang exhaust piping at the moment I decided to use what I have.
For the cold side there isn't much out there for an inexpensive set up. You may be able to luck out and find a diesel truck of any brand to use the cold side piping. You will have to use the Spectre carb hat which are not cheap to begin with. I will be running a single 44mm wastegate or two 38mm wastegates but no blow off valve. This is only because of my preference of having turbo bark.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Can you not make the exhaust crossover in the back like the IDI diesels?