Turbo or Procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1999 K2500 with a 454 and I wanna boost it. The truck will be mostly a street truck with some strip time. I wanna hit at least 1000 whp minimum. Would a turbo or a Procharger work better? Tre performance sells a kit specifically for my truck that I could get with an f1a head unit, or I could get a 88-91mm BorgWarner turbo. Rev limit will be about 6500-6800

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
depends on how much power you intend to make N/A. An f1a might not cut it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I suggest building it the way you want it with the parts you think will make 1000whp, but itll probably depend more on what dyno you go to. Theyre all different and show different numbers. I will tell you that 600hp is useless on the street until at least 3rd gear in most cases unless the ultimate goal is to turn rubber into smoke.

Last edited:

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully with the engine parts I have picked out I’m shooting for a streetae 500-600 on e-85. I’m not shy from heading into the 20s for boost. Also I’m not set on the f1a that’s just the biggest option it has available for my truck. I’m sure I could call them and order it with a bigger. I’m just trying to see which one would be better for overall driving experience and reaching the end horsepower goal

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Hopefully with the engine parts I have picked out I’m shooting for a streetae 500-600 on e-85. I’m not shy from heading into the 20s for boost. Also I’m not set on the f1a that’s just the biggest option it has available for my truck. I’m sure I could call them and order it with a bigger. I’m just trying to see which one would be better for overall driving experience and reaching the end horsepower goal
for street drivin id choose a smaller cam that tops out around 5800-6000 and go with a procharger. You dont have to wait for boost with a procharger. Id also get your heads flow tested and talk to someone at procharger before hand and make sure an f1a would meet the air flow requirements to make the kind of hp you want with a big block. Im not a math expert and dont know all the formulas To turn a cfm measurement into a boost measurement and all that. im sure youll need to know what your heads flow before you can figure out if a f1a will work or not.

Last edited:

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for street drivin id choose a smaller cam that tops out around 5800-6000 and go with a procharger. You dont have to wait for boost with a procharger. Id also get your heads flow tested and talk to someone at procharger before hand and make sure an f1a would meet the air flow requirements to make the kind of hp you want with a big block. Im not a math expert and dont know all the formulas To turn a cfm measurement into a boost measurement and all that. im sure youll need to know what your heads flow before you can figure out if a f1a will work or not.
I’ve actually already done the math and capping at 6000 rpm and a pressure ratio of 2.15 (around 17-18 psi) I need airflow requirements of 1350 cfm and the f1a Procharger supplies around 1500 if I’m not wrong. I’ve read some build online from superchevy of them using a f1a-94 and hit 1150 horsepower on a 496 which obviously needs more airflow than my motor

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I’ve actually already done the math and capping at 6000 rpm and a pressure ratio of 2.15 (around 17-18 psi) I need airflow requirements of 1350 cfm and the f1a Procharger supplies around 1500 if I’m not wrong. I’ve read some build online from superchevy of them using a f1a-94 and hit 1150 horsepower on a 496 which obviously needs more airflow than my motor
Well alright then. I say go procharger.