turbo kit for my 91 tbi 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Well yeah, its computer controlled. All you need is an ECM that will read a 3 bar MAP.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just get an EBL, they can read 3 bar maps. Make tuning much easier.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Meanwhile in the 21st century, a stock 6L takeout from the junkyard will make more HP than a turbo TBI boat anchor, use less fuel and be an order of magnitude cheaper to swap in. (all things assuming you're changing the heads, etc on le TBI piece of ****)

But, it's your money. I don't care.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Meanwhile in the 21st century, a stock 6L takeout from the junkyard will make more HP than a turbo TBI boat anchor, use less fuel and be an order of magnitude cheaper to swap in. (all things assuming you're changing the heads, etc on le TBI piece of ****)

But, it's your money. I don't care.

You seem to be on a few threads saying how horrible TBI is and pretty much just Gen 1 engines in general. Maybe you should keep in mind that if they weren't good motors, they wouldn't of been built for so long. If the Gen 1 had been garbage, who knows what would've happened. Maybe Chevy wouldn't be here, and maybe your Gen 3 engine would never of been in production. So maybe you should respect people building the Gen 1 SBC.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually prefer to do gen-1's....but I'm old school also. If I wanted high efficiency, yes I'd go with a more advanced engine design.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
You seem to be on a few threads saying how horrible TBI is and pretty much just Gen 1 engines in general. Maybe you should keep in mind that if they weren't good motors, they wouldn't of been built for so long. If the Gen 1 had been garbage, who knows what would've happened. Maybe Chevy wouldn't be here, and maybe your Gen 3 engine would never of been in production. So maybe you should respect people building the Gen 1 SBC.

It's not that GenI engines are garbage, it's the TBI EFI and smog-era heads that make them garbage. The problem being it costs a prohibitive amount to convert them into a form that can take advantage of the displacement, when there are turn-key options available for equal or less cost.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am have to agree with Chris on this one. I don't know anything about building motors but every time a thread like this pops up it always eventually turns to le six oh or 5.3.

You just don't see high hp tbi's out there. I remember a long time ago I made a thread on FSC about building a motor when I thought my motor was going in my sierra. I think it made it to post #4 before it turned 6.0.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, the TBI stuff is just so smogged out. It takes alot to really bring em to life. Only reason I stayed with stock bottom end was b/c my truck is an SS, I think it'd be dumb to do a SBC swap into it. If someone was paying for it, I'd do an LSX 454 with a 2.9L whipple on top today. Make 1000RWHP and get 20 MPG's. Hard to top that.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Yea, the TBI stuff is just so smogged out. It takes alot to really bring em to life. Only reason I stayed with stock bottom end was b/c my truck is an SS, I think it'd be dumb to do a SBC swap into it. If someone was paying for it, I'd do an LSX 454 with a 2.9L whipple on top today. Make 1000RWHP and get 20 MPG's. Hard to top that.

The main issue with TBI is fueling. It's all but impossible to get enough fuel into a high HP engine at 6K rpm and have it streetable at 1500rpm. You can compromise, but at the end of the day you're better off using the TBI PCM to control a MPFI system if you wanted to stick with OBD1 stuff.