true duals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i see our trucks on youtube with true duals

do you just use oxygen sensors on one side?

my 96 has four oxygen sensors one on the driver side y pipe two on the passenger side of the y and one after the cat

so i guess you put on shorty headers then have an exhaust shop make a downpipe for each side with threaded holes for your o2 sensors(like factory)

put on two cats? or just two mufflers and one cat..

im wondering the right way to do it..

Big Mack Daddy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
True duals would be 2 manifolds/headers, 2 downpipes, 2 cats, 2 mufflers and 2 tailpipes. I think the O2 sensors should be done the factory way on both sides.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, maintain the 4 o2 sensors. If your replacing the pipe containing them have the shop weld in new bungs, thats what I had done.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know what true duals mean i used to argue with my brother n law that his four cylinder sonoma could not possibly have true dual exhaust because it only had one manifold.. he had a cat back y pipe with chrome tips which is unfortuneatly what my 96 k1500 has at the moment.. I want to do away with the y pipe as it is in the way of any work being done

but yeah i meant do guys just keep o2's and have new bungholes put on downtubes..

the upstream o2 after the y joint is supposed to have the drivers side exhaust come across it via the y joint

i guess it doesnt matter then

sounds good thanks again

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no y pipe on vortec 5.7's. They have factory true duals with 2 cats. The exhaust doesn't connect until the stock muffler.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so buy factory downpipes and start from there huh

i got a 96 vortec, buddy has a 91, and ive also got a c15 90

all have y pipes

most likely a mail order kit has been installed on the 96

thanks for the input!

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of people start from the cats but the pipe before the cats is pretty small and restrictive so you can free it up more. I think its like 1-7/8"