Truck won’t star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kking

Reaction score
Been having some troubles with my truck starting, just changed out of the fuel pump relay last weekend which let it run for about a week. Then the most recent problem is that it’ll crank but it won’t start. Once’s it’s fine cranking and I take away power there’s a big thud. Truck did sit for awhile but I put new gas in it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then the most recent problem is that it’ll crank but it won’t start. Once’s it’s fine cranking and I take away power there’s a big thud.

Is this on a 1996?

When you say "take away power", do you mean that you hear a loud thud when you release the key and stop cranking?

I would start with a fuel pressure test (spec is 60-66 psi ignition on, engine off) or put a little starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it runs. Put the intake duct and MAF back on before trying to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kking

Reaction score
Is this on a 1996?

When you say "take away power", do you mean that you hear a loud thud when you release the key and stop cranking?

I would start with a fuel pressure test (spec is 60-66 psi ignition on, engine off) or put a little starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it runs. Put the intake duct and MAF back on before trying to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it’s on a 96, and the thud comes when I turn the key off

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a week fuel pump. You need to do a fuel pressure test. 96 up needs 60 PSI pre start.

Reaction score
Been having some troubles with my truck starting, just changed out of the fuel pump relay last weekend which let it run for about a week. Then the most recent problem is that it’ll crank but it won’t start. Once’s it’s fine cranking and I take away power there’s a big thud. Truck did sit for awhile but I put new gas in it. Any thoughts are appreciated.
If this is the same problem when the fuel pump went then you might h ave a defective fuel pump. When you go to the parts house they always sell you the cheapest one they have which usually is an airtex and they are junk and I will never install them. Get a Bosch pump, they are whisper quiet . Also check fuel pressure and mass airflow sensor