Truck shutting off and fuel pump relay getting hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfrdthegreat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a 99 k2500 with a 5.7. I had a new crate motor installed back in September because head gasket blew and she overheated and cracked the heads. Before the new motor went in I had Been chasing a few problems and seems like i still am. Truck would stumble when I take Off from a dead stop almost like it wasn’t getting enough fue but the truck would occasionally shut off while driving ( no loss of power to anything else, motor would just die, I could Put in in neutral while it was still rolling and it would crank right back up) or would have a miss when I hit A bump. The tuck has a new delco distributor I’ve swapped out the
ecm (it was bad),
ignition control module
Mass flow sensor
Idle air control
Egr
Pcv valve
Camshaft position sensor
Updated to the delco spider injector kit
Fuel pump relay
And a new Bosch fuel pump

that’s the backstory for this

when I put In the new fuel pump, I had To cut the flat wiring harness at the tank because the Bosch has a square 4 pin I’m pretty sure I have Those 4 wires correct but if it’s possible that I dont and the truck will still run I’ll drop and redo.
Anyway. The truck shut off the other day and wouldn’t crank back up I pulled the fuel pump relay, pushed it back in, cranked it up and immediately it cut back off, did the same thing again, third time I bent the prongs out a little to make sure it was all tight. Cranked up and drove home. I checked The relay at home and it felt hot, the sockets for the relay pins looked to be pretty loose. I pulled the fuse box apart and the one pin that was really loose, the orange wire was burnt inside. Here are a couple pics, of the wire and also the wiring diagram
My concern is I may have switched a wire by accident when I did The new harness at the tank. I dont think it will run wired incorrectly but I could Be wrong. When i spliced the wires I used marine grade heat shrink butt connectors and then used regular heat shrink over that. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something easy to try would be wire up a LED on the dash and attach it to the grey wire that goes from the relay to the fuel pump. That would be a easy visual way to see if the pump is loosing power while your driving.

Another thing is you could cut all those wires and put a relay on the firewall for the fuel pump. Ive had to do that on a few trucks to get by instead of taking the harness off and chasing wires.
Also double check the ground wire from the fuel pump to the frame, and the frame to the battery ground. Ive had issues with those not making good contact and pulling more amps than necessary.

Pfrdthegreat

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I will probably try the led idea, I hope I don’t have to run new wires but you’re right. Would be easier than tracking them. Lol. Thanks bud

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those relay socket pins get burnt to ****, too. That whole circuit is suspect at this point. Until the overheated parts are replaced, it will continue to be a sore spot.

Richard