Truck axle interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear diff is taking a dump in our 99 Yukon. I'm looking at a diff from a 94 k1500. Are these yhe same mounting and shock locations? I know that the rear sway bar mounts aren't there but that is no big deal.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rebuilt mine for a little over 400$ with the help of my mechanic brother in law. That's with new gears too. If you don't need new gears it will be a couple hundred less.
I know you're a mechanically competent person is why I throw this idea out there. Plus all new rear end as opposed to a questionable used one.

Reaction score
Rebuilt mine for a little over 400$ with the help of my mechanic brother in law. That's with new gears too. If you don't need new gears it will be a couple hundred less.
I know you're a mechanically competent person is why I throw this idea out there. Plus all new rear end as opposed to a questionable used one.

I am in the same boat. What about all the specialized tools to get it setup are the tolerance that precise? I can find a low mileage rear end for about $250 so thats what I am trying to figure out chance it with a used or rebuild and chance it that I get the measurement right LOL

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is going to need gears and honestly I don't like the 3.42 that is in there currently. I'm looking at buying a complete 94 parts truck with 3.73 gears. I know that the front is the same but I couldn't recall if the rear would bolt in. I know that the rear springs are different.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear will bolt right in. My 8 lug sf 14 bolt came out of a 3/4 ton suburban. Didn't have to move shock mounts or spring perches.
If you want to measure from center of center pin to center pin. It should be around 47"

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rear will bolt right in. My 8 lug sf 14 bolt came out of a 3/4 ton suburban. Didn't have to move shock mounts or spring perches.
If you want to measure from center of center pin to center pin. It should be around 47"
Thank you very much!

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. What about all the specialized tools to get it setup are the tolerance that precise? I can find a low mileage rear end for about $250 so thats what I am trying to figure out chance it with a used or rebuild and chance it that I get the measurement right LOL
A low mileage rear end for 250 is a good deal. My brother in law has built a million of these and was able to shim it off of feel and tooth pattern. The bearings and seals are simple if you have a press. I would suggest buying a case of beer and invite a mechanic buddy over to help you. But for 250 for a low mileage deal I'd go that way. Around here everyone wanted 500$ for one with unknown miles, and that didn't make sense to me.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is going to need gears and honestly I don't like the 3.42 that is in there currently. I'm looking at buying a complete 94 parts truck with 3.73 gears. I know that the front is the same but I couldn't recall if the rear would bolt in. I know that the rear springs are different.
You will appreciate the gear change even though it's a small one. I swapped out my 3.08s for 3.42s and it made a huge driveability change. Keep in mind I'm running 235 tires (factory 2wd size).

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made a deal today to buy a 94 K1500. It has a 350 that smokes a little, 5 speed and a 4 inch lift with bald 265 tires. It has some various electrical issues and it really isn't too bad but the back window was broken out before last winter and so there's some mold in the interior now and there's various issues with the heating and AC. It isn't really worth putting back together but it is worth the $200 that I paid for it.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that we got lucky on the rear end. Obviously this U-joint is junk. The pinion nut had also loosened up on the differential. I snuck the pinion nut back down and I'm going to replace this U-joint. I think that it will be okay.
You must be registered for see images attach